squirrel season...

Andy S.

redblood said:
been seeing a ton of hickory cuttings on the roads i run. surprisingly, hickories produced fairly well here
I have been seeing some in my area, but not a ton yet. I was in Fayette County at deer camp Sunday working on my camper and found these in and around my camper.

6b9d34a1.jpg

FOX FIRE

morgancountry said:
I can't wait. I haven't squirrel hunted in probably 4 or 5 years. I got my grandpa's Marlin 39A when he passed this spring so that is my motivation to get out this year!

A Marlin 39A is a great gun, I had a 39A mountie that my father in law bought new in 1966, like a moron I gave it to my brother in law but did tell him never to sell it....unless its to me.

TheLBLman

Andy S. said:
When I see a few like that in the absence of a good bit of "finer" cuttings, it usually means the squirrels "just tasted" those, and didn't like them, or they were still too green. That half and that whole without any green, they look like something left over from last year?

I love to hear nearly whole hickory nuts like that fall to the ground on a still morning! Then shortly followed by some scrape-scrape-scrape-scrape-scrape-scrape-scrape-scrape-scraping, and another big piece of nut hitting the ground! :) It's to squirrel hunting what a gobbling turkey is to Spring Turkey hunting!

Just not the same when the turkey's not gobbling; just not the same when the squirrel's not cutting hickory nuts.

Hickory Nut

They are hickory nuts, not filled out yet. See the lines for the sections of the outer hull?

Yea I really look foward to the fall squirrel season opener too. The fall is a fantastic time to be in the woods and the squirrels provide an excellent hunt opportunity and challenge. I've chased bushytails for over 50 years and it's still a blast. I think I've missed 3 or 4 opening mornings but never a season.

bigtex

Plenty of hickory nuts here this year. Didn't find the first one last year. The squirrels are already cutting on them. Can't wait to kill a few, fried squirrel, gravy and home made biscuits is hard to beat!

BTW, the "walnut" trees are loaded this year as well.

Atchman2

I can't wait to go this year! Early in the year I normally carry my airgun AND my 20 gauge. That way if they take off running they will be mine; oh yes-the will be mine.

Last year was a terrible year for me for fall squirrels but I cleaned up during the spring.

I'm really looking forward to the late season this year since my squirrel dog should be ready to chase them and tree them! I took him in the spring because he finds them when they fall in the thick brush. :)

Latest posts