Squib cause

tnraised

Relatively new to reloading, doing single stage for 44 mag through my Super Redhawk. Everything was going well (accurate, solid shots) until a round sounded off, sure enough, squib load. Glad I caught it since I was being vigilant. Round went about an inch into the barrel and had a bunch of unburnt powder behind it so I know it was loaded. Primer had a solif strike and the case was fine. I am thinking it is likely bad crimp so not enough pressure to fully burn. Any thoughts? Love reloading and the process. Thanks for any thoughts!

Btw, round was really stuck a little oil and rest in the freezer made it basically fall back out.

DaveB

My thinking.....

1. if the primer ignited sufficient to launch bullet into barrel, then powder was bad.
2. If some powder was ignited that should have been sufficient to ignite the rest unless the powder was bad.

IMHO that powder was corrupted. A weak primer ignition would not have ignited a portion of the powder. It may have gone boom BOOOMMMM but as you reported there was a less than normal report, I say powder was bad.

Check you inventory

tnraised

Thanks everyone! Always something to learn.

I prime off press for now and use a manual scale. It is possible I handle that primer as some did spill a bit. Also possible that the flash hole needed to be cleaned a bit. The primer had a solid strike and was seated well. I will pay some more attention it the rest of the loads. This is part of the reason I staying single stage, straight wall for a bit.

Powder was brand new but I did shoot a few months after loading. The others seemed to foul the gun a bit more than I am used to as well.

DaveB

Brass magnet points out a common problem. If you or someone else tumbled the brass using walnut or corncob media it easy to get a piece lodged in the flash hole. It will only shake out of its own accord on the 5th thursday of February. Must be manually removed. A safety pin, a nail, tiny screwdriver is necessary because you need to run the object clear thru the flash hole, not just mess around where the primer goes.

Still, a squib suggests the powder was corrupted or indeed, the flash hole was blocked.

Start saving for a Stainless teel tumbler kit.