Squeaking Dryer

T

TennSportsman

Most common problems that I have read about are belt, bearing, or motor. It's a double unit with the dryer on top, GE brand. It's so bad I cant even stand to be inside while it is running. Also, it only squeaks when the heat is on which I'm thinking it's the bearing. Any help would be appreciated.

dralarms

dralarms

It's most likely the rollers, or tension pully. If you are mechanically inclined you could do it yourself.

R

Redwing

Yep, rollers. Mine had the same thing and there are a few skateboard wheels in there.

DaveB

DaveB

Fix it yourself and then start a pickle jar of cash for your next replacement. Every time you do a load of wash, drop a 5 in the jar. You want a SpeedQueen set and here is why.....

I purchased a Maytag washer and dryer in 1985 from Kmart. Washer lasted a long time but the control panel (which was all electric panel no dials to turn) kept failing. After 25 years I got discouraged and got a new washer. The gas dryer burned up an igniter at age 16, replaced it myself. after 27 years Somehow a piece of steel wire got caught in the wheel race and wiped out the rollers and most of the race. Turns out the rubber seal on the drum was steel belted!!!

okay, in intervening years 3 washers and on 3rd dryer. I want to scream. Sears wanted $700+ for a 1 year service plan for washing machine that was engineered by a stupid donkey and a gas dryer that kept allowing gas to flow when the igniter shut off PLUS a 400 vacuum cleaner that had shaft drive and when that drive ate a carpet it would twist and break the plastic frame that held the shaft and motor in place. I just could not take it any more.

Right now our $800 dryer is on its third control panel. Nothing Samsung makes is worth dog poop.

The $600 GE washer will get up and boogie all over the laundry room. Why? because one pair of blue jeans is off-center and disturbing the rotation of, apparently, the earth. Wife takes towels to laundromat because she is afraid the washing machine will explode.

Your(our) journey will repeat and repeat until you(we) save the coinage necessary to get the right equipment.

D

dsa5455

DaveB":umyqabxp said:
Fix it yourself and then start a pickle jar of cash for your next replacement. Every time you do a load of wash, drop a 5 in the jar. You want a SpeedQueen set and here is why.....

I purchased a Maytag washer and dryer in 1985 from Kmart. Washer lasted a long time but the control panel (which was all electric panel no dials to turn) kept failing. After 25 years I got discouraged and got a new washer. The gas dryer burned up an igniter at age 16, replaced it myself. after 27 years Somehow a piece of steel wire got caught in the wheel race and wiped out the rollers and most of the race. Turns out the rubber seal on the drum was steel belted!!!

okay, in intervening years 3 washers and on 3rd dryer. I want to scream. Sears wanted $700+ for a 1 year service plan for washing machine that was engineered by a stupid donkey and a gas dryer that kept allowing gas to flow when the igniter shut off PLUS a 400 vacuum cleaner that had shaft drive and when that drive ate a carpet it would twist and break the plastic frame that held the shaft and motor in place. I just could not take it any more.

Right now our $800 dryer is on its third control panel. Nothing Samsung makes is worth dog poop.

The $600 GE washer will get up and boogie all over the laundry room. Why? because one pair of blue jeans is off-center and disturbing the rotation of, apparently, the earth. Wife takes towels to laundromat because she is afraid the washing machine will explode.

Your(our) journey will repeat and repeat until you(we) save the coinage necessary to get the right equipment.

This was funny especially the blue jeans in GE washer and rotation of the earth. lol Quiet day at work and had a good chuckle from this post.

B

Bucky

TennSportsman":1eh4fewp said:
Most common problems that I have read about are belt, bearing, or motor. It's a double unit with the dryer on top, GE brand. It's so bad I cant even stand to be inside while it is running. Also, it only squeaks when the heat is on which I'm thinking it's the bearing. Any help would be appreciated.

Probably your drum guides. Very easy fix :tu:

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
I would wager that the squeak is in the front panel. The popular dryers have UHMW wear strips that snap into the front panel. The front of the drum rides on these wear strips. The sad part is that once the squeaking starts, the wear strips are beyond worn out and the drum has worn into the front panel which requires replacement of the entire front panel assembly.