spraying apple trees

buckaroo

Has anyone figured this out? I have talked to agriculture agents, co-op people and I haven't got anything clear on the subject. So far I sprayed with captan a week ago I have purchased immunox and dormant oil.

NBF7240

I use the combo spray(herbicide/pesticide) except right before bloom and during bloom, then I use only herbicide. Don't use pesticide during the blooming period or you will kill the pollinaters.

Coach B

smstone22 said:
Its hard to get a clear answer because how much/what/when you spray is determined by your goals. If you want grocery store apples then its quite extensive. Apples for deer, not so bad though.

Good answer. I planted 15 different varieties of apples last fall. My plan is for no spray at all for a few years to determine which ones will actually need it. We've got some older apple trees on the property that haven't been sprayed in 30 years. While they are not grocery store pretty they eat just fine even though they are prone to cedar apple rust. We do regularly prune and cut out dead wood and competing trees though.

buckaroo

I just learned from our agent, spray captan for rust ect. and malathion for insects except at bloom for the bees and you can rotate the fungicide with immunox.

Latest posts