Spinach & Greens

DaveB

Sorry my Friend the only qualification I have for spinach is it is a cool weather plant. Spring will be over and it'll bolt. You have some time....just not too much...long range forecast says 79 end of April. May want to get a backup plan moving forward.

Here's a reference
http://www.almanac.com/plant/spinach

DaveB

I'd start harvesting the spinach leaves soon as possible and when the first one bolts I'd harvest the rest and turn over to something else. I have not acquired the taste for Mustard greens, never tried to grow them.

I think if you can do anything quickly on the North side of your house, maybe you can extend the crop. Same goes for snow peas which are a fair alternative to spinach, its just real close to late.

MickThompson

Plant them in the fall and you'll get plenty of picking. I just top sow greens after I finish with my summer garden, no soil prep needed. I also get the benefit of winter cover to build soil and prevent erosion through the winter. My turnips were trying to bolt a month ago, so any little bit of warm weather will trip them this late.

gil1

I know my reply is late, but I thought I'd chime in. Probably my favorite veggies are greens, so I devote a little space to lettuce and spinach. Right now, I have out three varieties of spinach and eight of lettuce. They are the gift that keeps on giving. Just snap off leaves, and more will grow back. Two cool seasons a year. I plant mine close together to keep the weeds out. I just use my finger to make long grooves in the dirt about four inches apart, then sprinkle some seeds in the groove about four inches apart, then cover lightly with the separated dirt. Pull out any excess plants that germinate, as you only need one per spot. You can cover with cloth for shade (but let air in under) to keep them going through July. And I fully cover with clear plastic after the fall planting to keep them going through December. When they start to taste bitter, they're done. And although I planted in March, it's absolutely not too late to get some going now. Look for a heat tolerant strain like Summer Crisp or Sierra. Good luck.

DntBrnDPig

I planted some malabar spinach... it is supposed to thrive in the summer. It's not really a 'spinach' though. I don't know what it tastes like yet but I have some coming up.

Latest posts