Spike Elk

KPGman710

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me the concept/theory behind allowing massive spike elk hunts in units while also offering very limited branch bull elk tags? I was recently on a spike hunt in Mt Emily. I believe there was roughly 660 Spike elk tags offered previous year with very limited trophy bull as obviously this is one of the big 3.
I quickly came to realize how much I would have hated having a trophy bull tag for that unit as the elk woods are literally crawling with spike hunters. How is this sustainable for future trophy bull? It appears to me at face value to be counterintuitive. Is there a scientific reason behind this? Or - is this just another display of poor management?

Hduke86

They've been doing it that way for years. I don't know the specific reason besides revenue and I read once about agricultural reasons. Maybe trying to keep numbers down to sustainable limits of the land or neighboring lands that are private. I've looked into that hunt but don't think it's something I want to go across country for and have so many spike hunters screaming in tubes as they march through the woods.

Latest posts