Food Plots Soybeans

hitek

Ok, I really want to get serious on planting soybeans this year, mainly for some extra protein during the spring and summer. Any advice other than plot a big plot? Any other recommended Spring/Summer plantings?

DavidW

I really like the RR Eagle seed soybeans, seemed to handle grazing better. They did have as many pods, but I would overseed with oats, wheat and rye once leaves start to yellow. Good luck

Grnwing

I'd second the Eagle soybeans. They are a vining variety and create a ton of forage and can handle the constant browsing. I would make sure you do your soil samples and get your pH right(now is a great time to get your lime spread before the farmers start calling in their orders), spread your fertilizer and work into the ground before planting. I would make sure you are planting atleast an acre or better. Soil temps are important for proper germination so a spring planting most likely would have to be a very late spring to be successful(may/june). The Eagle variety will grow tall, and if you plan on using this as an early archery plot, and may not be the best to hunt over as the deer will disappear in the fields. They will not yellow until a good frost/freeze but will slow down in October. They put out a lot of pods that are great for late season food source. Once the do start yellowing and eventually drop their leaves, you can over seed with wheat/oats or whatever you choose. Good preparation is key.

Latest posts