South Cherokee Harvest Data

ElDuderino

I've been looking through harvest data, looks like there were 185 bucks and only 7 does harvested for this past season out of South Cherokee.

I have never hunted South Cherokee, but why is that data so skewed towards bucks? Am I missing something?

th88

Very limited antlerless opportunity. Only can kill does during youth and archery. See regs below:

f28iB1s.png

TheLBLman

Here's some wild numbers for you.
I'd also say the South Cherokee is the most lightly hunted public land (hunters per acre) of any in Tennessee?

It's actually "less hunted" than most private property in TN.

Not to say the deer density isn't relatively low, but so is the hunter density.
It's a unique opportunity, and a unique hunting experience, as this is as close as it gets to a true "wilderness" hunt in TN.

Take a look at the hunter "harvested" buck age structure.
I believe it is also the highest of any WMA in TN?

Buzzard Breath

I'd also say the South Cherokee is the most lightly hunted public land (hunters per acre) of any in Tennessee?

It's a unique opportunity, and a unique hunting experience, as this is as close as it gets to a true "wilderness" hunt in TN.

Definitely. I've spent a ton of time hunting those mountains. Outside of the various trailheads and accesses, it is rare to run into another hunter. It's also possible to not see even a single deer for an entire season. But.... when you do, you'd better be ready. There's a good chance it'll be nice.

Poser used to have some great write-ups about his backcountry hunts there, but they all were wiped out when he got canned.

Rabbitkil

More hog and bear hunters than anything else on south Cherokee

Willysman

I've been looking through harvest data, looks like there were 185 bucks and only 7 does harvested for this past season out of South Cherokee.

I have never hunted South Cherokee, but why is that data so skewed towards bucks? Am I missing something?
Well I hunt South Cherokee all the time. I can assure you that there was not 185 bucks killed in the South Cherokee. The deer numbers are very low and hunter participation is also low. South Cherokee used to be a bonus buck until they added it to the statewide limit two or three years ago. Some people don't know or don't care and they are still checking out deer killed elsewhere and checking them out as killed on the South Cherokee and getting by with it. I doubt if there were 185 hunters hunted SC the entire season. Hunting the mountains is tough and not many people doing it now. It is a unique experience and I love the mountains.

Chickencoop96

I Know one thing about hunting critters in those mountains.. i had a trail camera over some rubs and a scrape for a couple of months and literally only had one buck and a turkey show up...both only once and never got another pic LOL