Sous vide in the instant pot

Moonman

I've been watching all you using the method and my wife got a instant pot for Christmas. Being as it's rainy and can't grill I told her we're going to use the sous vide mode on this steak tonight. I didn't get big ol steaks cause we are going to use it in salads tonight. Well I'm sold. The instant pot has a sauté function that did great getting that final touch. This one is cooked a little more for the kid but after the pic she wanted the rest. I'm sold and that was easy and fast and oh so good even on thin cut ones. Usually the kid who is 6 will eat just a little and tonight she said it's so good. We put hers in street tacos with cilantro and cheese, but she ate a whole small one. Thanks for all the information and I'm sold. The nice thing is I have the other one still in the instant pot and can get it ready for the wife when she gets home and she'll have a got meal.

Attachments

• 06A08AA9-A7CC-40E3-B1FF-44621047B864.jpeg
    06A08AA9-A7CC-40E3-B1FF-44621047B864.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 120

Moonman

So you used a sous vide and then finished in the instapot?
I think that's what you were saying.

love love love my sous vide. I need to use my instapot more
Actually the insta pot has a sous vide setting and I used it also on saute to finish it off. It lets you set the temp like those other wands do for the sous vide. I just put the thing in the bottom to hold it up when sous vide'ing.

Last edited:

Moonman

Pics of second steak. After the first I set it back up since the first was done to keep warm and a few minutes before the kid went to bed set to saute and we ate. Wife had went to workout class and wanted it to be warm.

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_195546_01.jpg
    IMG_20210215_195546_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20210215_200005_01.jpg
    IMG_20210215_200005_01.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 97

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
I love my sous vide, but will tell you an insta pot works but my flame thrower was the best gadget I own.

Attachments

• 6C9A964E-3EB2-477D-AA7C-0EA02FE1E031.jpeg
    6C9A964E-3EB2-477D-AA7C-0EA02FE1E031.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 79E73D42-1738-4485-AC04-35A5E7FD7373.jpeg
    79E73D42-1738-4485-AC04-35A5E7FD7373.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 138

cbhunter

I love my sous vide, but will tell you an insta pot works but my flame thrower was the best gadget I own.
All that healthiness and Krispy Kreme's in the background!
I've heard you talk about the flamethrower enough that I'm about ready to get one. However, I do like the charcoal/smoke flavor I get by finishing on grill too

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
All that healthiness and Krispy Kreme's in the background!
I've heard you talk about the flamethrower enough that I'm about ready to get one. However, I do like the charcoal/smoke flavor I get by finishing on grill too
The Krispy Kreme was for the lady since they had those VDay doughnuts lol.
I've just got a smoker, I hope to use it and the sous vide with that as well.

JCDEERMAN

Actually the insta pot has a sous vide setting and I used it also on saute to finish it off. It lets you set the temp like those other wands do for the sous vide. I just put the thing in the bottom to hold it up when sous vide'ing.
Could you explain a little further? We have an insta-pot with the sous vide function, but thought we had to buy an additional piece for it to work. If not, that's great! I've never sous vide'd anything. Is it as simple as filling the pot with water and put vacuum-sealed steak in there and set the temp? Or am I way out in left field? :p

Bucket

The Krispy Kreme was for the lady since they had those VDay doughnuts lol.
I've just got a smoker, I hope to use it and the sous vide with that as well.
Ribs done sous vide then smoked are amazing. Season, seal them and then 150° in the sous vide for 24 hours. Finish in the smoker on your lowest setting for a couple of hours. You won't want ribs any other way.

Moonman

Could you explain a little further? We have an insta-pot with the sous vide function, but thought we had to buy an additional piece for it to work. If not, that's great! I've never sous vide'd anything. Is it as simple as filling the pot with water and put vacuum-sealed steak in there and set the temp? Or am I way out in left field? :p
JCDEERMAN it is that simple. I watched this video of him doing it and used the settings and it turned out great.
Also I looked at the temp on this one https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html to get the water temps/time. It's as easy as you think. You hit sou vide mode pick your meat, temp and then start it. Mine was about an hourish. Once done dump the water and do sauté with oil and crisp it up. Of course you prior to vacuum sealing you will put your spices etc on it. I did a little marinade with country bobs and some seasoning and it was great. Even after doing the kids and staring the water back for mine and the wife, it was just the same after sitting in the water.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

We have a insta-pot and had no idea you could sous vide cook in it! We have a vacuum sealer as well....hmm.... interesting.....thanks for sharing!