Something I have never seen before

Bone Collector

I have only really been hunting turkeys since 2010, so 13 years or so. Yesterday I was hunting some public and I came in by boat to an area that had turkeys last year and I assumed they would still be in the area. Most of the public around here either abuts private land or neighborhoods. It is just the nature of the growth of Mid TN. I got caught listening on the boat for gobbles and had 3-4 gobbling around me, but most were in no hunting zones. The ones I was after were quiet at first, but got into the action a little later. As such I didn't get set up until about 10 minutes before fly down and being it was cracking light pretty good, I didn't want to push in too far, so I stayed by the water about 20 yds into the woods. I heard hens yelping and pretty sure I heard a bird fly down. There was a couple of jakey sounded gobble and one that I know was a tom. Well they were out in front of me and in the past they have come towards the water and then worked back to the neighborhood, but on this morning they just pitched down from what I could tell and were headed to the neighborhood. I called to see if I could get them to come check me out. Well one of the hens (it seemed) got worked up, but the issue was she wasn't moving and I convinced myself that it was hunters thinking they were calling back and forth with another hen, which was actually me. After about 30 minutes of that and knowing this bird is literally within 100 yds of me and I can see up there with binos, I couldn't find the bird(s). In addition to the first hen more had joined in and i was hearing a gobble that sounded like someone yelling and I thought, it has to be people, over calling and thinking that was gonna work. I decided to leave for safeties sake and went somewhere close by. I could see and hear the area I was in and things went quiet and I assumed the "hunters' had moved on. A little later I go back but go to where I heard the hens and weird gobbles, plus other birds gobbling early that morning. I called and a bird gobbled, but he was in the neighborhood about 200-250 yds away. I moved back some to a good ambush point, just in case he came in looking. I waited and called and a hen gets all worked up and he is gobbling and about 125 yds from me. He is basically at the back of a 1-2 acre lot at wood line (WMA line). If he comes in another 90 yds. he will be about 35 yds. in front of me.
I hear a cackle (like a fly down/up cackle) and I see a bird flying up into the trees in front of me. She lands to my 2 o'clock at 25 yds. and is behind giant cedar, so she cannot see me. I was confused as to what I should do with her so close, but after 15 minutes I thought, the heck with it, I'm gonna call. I did and when I did she did the exact same thing she did that morning. She went nuts, cutting and yelping, but never moved. She was at an elevated vantage point and was looking down to see where the other hen was. I would call he'd gobble, she'd go nuts, he'd gobble. I have to assume she knew I was behind her and behind the cedar, but she never moved on the limb to look at me. It became obvious he wasn't coming as he'd gobble from far off, and then after calling he'd gobble closer again, then we'd start over. no matter what he never got any closer than 125 yds. or so. I left him about 10:15, but I've never seen a turkey do what that hen did.
The fact that she never moved and stayed in one place made me think that was her and maybe a friend or two that morning, plus some jakes and maybe a tom or two. Due to her not moving though and perching herself, I convinced myself it had to be hunters, as hunters usually stay stationary unless they feel they can make a move. It was like she was a lookout for this tom and I have never seen anything like that before.

has anyone else seen anything like that before? I've heard of toms doing that, but not a hen basically acting as a sentinel..

Coker

Boss hens will fly into a tree to get a vantage point of any incoming turkeys, trouble, etc.... She is smart! The Gobbler wont move any closer than her position because she is the "look out". At that point, you don't have much of a choice but to sit and watch/listen. Your best bet would be to move to another angle and try again. That is, after she moves on and you cant be seen.

knightrider

Have had it happen several times , dang hens!! Had a gobbler do that to me last Thursday evening about 6 he flew up in a tree about 80 yards in front on me and was looking hard than he would strut awhile on the limb than look, after about 30 minutes of that i called and he flew off 😂

Bone Collector

Boss hens will fly into a tree to get a vantage point of any incoming turkeys, trouble, etc.... She is smart! The Gobbler wont move any closer than her position because she is the "look out". At that point, you don't have much of a choice but to sit and watch/listen. Your best bet would be to move to another angle and try again. That is, after she moves on and you cant be seen.
I figured he wasn't coming any closer than her, and she was the lookout. Where I was was a good set up if he would have come to where she was, but he wouldn't come back into public land. When she got worked up he would come to his closest point. when I went silent, so did she and he'd gobble at a crow and you could tell he had moved back into Private. I'd call, she'd go nuts, he'd gobble and gobble and you could tell he was getting closer, then hang up again. When I left i was able to stand up and get around the other side of the tree. Aside from hearing some slight rustling she never started alarm putting and instead went nuts cutting and yelping (maybe that's the alarm). I was able to circle back around her and get out. She never flew off the limb.

woodsman04

In my experience birds flying up in a tree in the middle of the day are spooked in a way. It could even be her just being used to being barraged by googans on public that she wants to fly into a tree to be able to see better.

I assume The gobbler was doing what gobblers do. Waiting for the hens to come to him.

Carlos

That's interesting.
I had a group of Hens nail me one year, but not quite like that. There were 4-5 of them, and one of them must have thought she saw me move or something. She stood still and as tall as she could, keeping me pinned down, while the other Hens circled my position. There weren't any Gobblers around afaik, but those Hens worked as a team pretty well.

Hymie3

I have never seen that exact thing happen but I hunted together with a buddy Saturday and we were walking mid morning and came up on a hen. We set up just in case. We started hearing yelping and cutting and it was the worst calling I've ever heard and told him that was for sure another hunter. Turns out it was the hen. We got a laugh out of it and he decided good calling skills are not necessary and I agreed… cool experience you had.

Gravey

I have never seen that exact thing happen but I hunted together with a buddy Saturday and we were walking mid morning and came up on a hen. We set up just in case. We started hearing yelping and cutting and it was the worst calling I've ever heard and told him that was for sure another hunter. Turns out it was the hen. We got a laugh out of it and he decided good calling skills are not necessary and I agreed… cool experience you had.
The worst hen I've ever heard was a real one. Just knew it was a hunter but was shocked when I found out otherwise. Proof you don't have to win a calling competition to call a bird up.

Latest posts