Somebody gonna be filling out a "near miss"

Snake

Supporter
My best friend text me earlier.
Where he works they use hoists to load materials that weigh upwards of 1,000 pounds all the time.
He said the hoist his buddy was using came off the tracks and fell.
Said it missed his buddy's head by literally a few inches. :eek:

I swear you just never know.

Same place had a machine that was messed up and management knew it but it was going to take too long for maintenance to fix it so they literally tore the "do not use" tag off and said keep running.
Long story short the next time it malfunctioned a steel bar flew out and hit a girl in the face.
Messed her up really bad but luckily didn't kill her.

I can't remember the exact details but somehow or other she was late to work shortly after returning after being out for like 3 months recovering.
They fired her. :mad:

I wish he would get out of there.
Should of sued them when she was injured . Companies don't care about their employees now a days .

7mm08

Supporter
As the COLLEGE BOY one summer working for a general contractor at a DuPont company one summer they told me to go under a derailed railroad car that had been delivering the chemicals to make nylon. I crawled on my belly to check it out. I did it, but said never again.

All that happened in all my years in surgery was getting sprayed in the face with blood, or having to help operate on patients with active hepatitis or HIV. JUST THE STUFF that could have killed me or my wife but not crush me.

You guys be careful out there!!

clwg97

My dad, uncle, and grandpa all warned me when I became and engineer that I Better not get to big for my britches or they would knock me down a leg. My dad and grandpa were mechanics in the mines and then on tug boats on the river. My uncle was a machinist. They always had great stories about engineers that didn’t know how to put a nut and bolt together but thought they knew everything. I have strived to make sure that is not how I am and not how I train anyone who works for me. I now work as a supervisor over a production crew And not in engineering. It is a lot of fun when a knew engineer comes in and think he knows everything. I am thankful for my family every day that I was not like that.

hillbillyfab

Antler Daddy

Supporter
My best friend text me earlier.
Where he works they use hoists to load materials that weigh upwards of 1,000 pounds all the time.
He said the hoist his buddy was using came off the tracks and fell.
Said it missed his buddy's head by literally a few inches. :eek:

I swear you just never know.

Same place had a machine that was messed up and management knew it but it was going to take too long for maintenance to fix it so they literally tore the "do not use" tag off and said keep running.
Long story short the next time it malfunctioned a steel bar flew out and hit a girl in the face.
Messed her up really bad but luckily didn't kill her.

I can't remember the exact details but somehow or other she was late to work shortly after returning after being out for like 3 months recovering.
They fired her. :mad:

I wish he would get out of there.
UH, she should be a millionaire now and riding plenty of yellow mowers.

WTM

saw a girl get her thumb caught in a pipe nipple jaw on a threading machine, pulled her skin and meat plumb off. they had to amputate. saw another girl at the same plant get her get her arm wrapped around a pipe cutter. broke her arm in twenty something different places in about 2 seconds. she was wearing leather gloves instead of cloth gloves. grabbed the spinning pipes and wrapped her arm around the pipe. one of our maintenance techs on our day shift got hit with 480v in water on the same pipe cutter. split his arm bones from his fingers and blew out of his shoulder where he was propped up against the machine.

saw an electrician take an arc flash full force at another company. killed him almost instantly.

a buddy of mine, got his hand caught in a gear chain and cut three of his fingers off at the next place i worked. we had to reverse the chain with a pipe wrench and i still remember his screaming. he died of a pain killer over dose a year later. a sad way for a combat tested army ranger infrantryman to leave this world.

i had a choice on my last job switch between dupont and the telecomm industry. i dont regret my choice.

Popcorn

Supporter
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Spent a lifetime in the moving & storage biz plus did new furniture installation, commercial kitchen installs, delivered and placed MRI machines. I was CDL driver and crew lead for years both as an employee and as a contractor/ owner. Often drive all night to work all day then go back and start again. My safety director hated me at times. Operations would not let him shut me down. Said I was more productive than any 2 other crews. I would tell him “Don’t ask me stupid questions and I won’t have to lie to you!” Lol
My crew made more money in 6 months than most did in a year. Wow, I miss those days sometimes!
Yet God sees fit to let me continue living…
Thankfully

Mattt

I ride a helo a lot. We are under rigging all the time. It seems it is cheaper to pay the lawsuit than turn off the power to a city which would be you guys and your workplace and everyone you know in town at work. Meh

DaveB

As a Combat Engineer (in the Reserves) my Son has learned how to detect and defuse IED's. Use explosives to destroy stuff.

Latest posts