Some times you wish you didn't kill that bird....

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've had a bird that I've seen on cam for past 2 years (had a broken feather on right wing that stuck straight out). He ran with a Jake last season and was still buddied up with him this spring. He didn't have a super strong gobble, it would fool you thinking he was farther away then he was. I hunted him a few times last season, but since I had tagged one already, I choose to just let him go. This spring I chased him 5 times since season opened.

First hunt he gobbled 2 times and pitched out onto a flat. He strutted around about 75 yards away with 4 hens and his buddy. They moved off with no chance for a shot. 2nd hunt he gobbled a few times with his buddy. I snuck up just under the flat. I called a few times and he came by strutting at 40 yards heading to the hens calling over the other side of the flat. Hunt 3, very little gobbling going on. I creeped up to the flat, poked my head around a tree and see a red head. I dropped down, called softly and he gobbled. I stuck my gun around the tree and tried to get on his head, he moved about the time I shot and totally missed. I watch him fly off. Hunt 4, him and his buddy was gobbling crazy at daylight and after fly down. I called a few times and hear him gobbling 150+ yards away. he gobbles coming in and at one point he was just over the ridge top when he gobbled. next few gobbles were getting farther away.

Sunday AM, I got up late and decided to go anyway. I just got to ridge listening spot when he gobbled once. I snuck around to this flat as he gobbled a few times. He would turn in the tree cause one would be within 75 yards and next sounded like he was 200 yards away. I got at the end of the flat where the finger ridges goes down to his roost. I soft call a few times, he hammers back. he continues to gobble at birds and road noises. I go quiet at one point for a few minutes. I call a couple of times and he gobbles from other ridge. at one point he gobbles at my 3 on that ridge. I cut hard on my slate and he fires back. I go quiet and he gobbles closer. The next gobble he is at my 12 within 50 yards. He gobbles again just to my right. I get ready and see his head poke up over the crest. when he puts his head down, I swing the last few inches to get on him. he comes back up with his head and I pull the trigger. Drop him at 21 yards. He was 24.12 lbs, 10.750 beard, Left spur, 1.375", Right was broken and was 1". Had 2 big scars on him.

After I get home, it hits me that he won't be there gobbling any more. No more hunting of him and making memories. He was a great adversary and hope I find another like him in the future. Some times, when the hunt is over, I feel sad that he won't be there gobbling and bringing the excitement each spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3653.JPEG
    IMG_3653.JPEG
    687.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3655.JPEG
    IMG_3655.JPEG
    453.5 KB · Views: 200

megalomaniac

always mixed emotions when you kill one you have hunted several times.

Was the wound from an arrow/ broadhead? One of my birds this year had been previously shot clean through both breasts and the crop with a broadhead. I'm sure it had happened 2 years or longer ago, as the wound was completely healed except for the atrophic channel through the breasts, and the crop was completely glued to the breast meat above the wishbone. Dude was still my heaviest bird this year at 23.1lbs despite the atrophy around the wound channel.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
always mixed emotions when you kill one you have hunted several times.

Was the wound from an arrow/ broadhead? One of my birds this year had been previously shot clean through both breasts and the crop with a broadhead. I'm sure it had happened 2 years or longer ago, as the wound was completely healed except for the atrophic channel through the breasts, and the crop was completely glued to the breast meat above the wishbone. Dude was still my heaviest bird this year at 23.1lbs despite the atrophy around the wound channel.
both looked to be spur wounds. one was more healed then the other.

LenS

Great story, great hunt, and I understand completely about the sadness. The older I get the less killing means to me. Shoot, the older I get the more I hate death in particular, even though it is a necessary evil of this world. You've already honored the bird with this story and he no doubt will live on in your memories.