Sod help...

G8rntn

Just got finished building our house back first of February and want to do sod. Never done anything like it. But I think Fescue is the best for the money $100 per pallet (pallet=500 sq ft). Hire someone or DIY?

Diehard Hunter

DIY. Laying sod is not hard, the hard part is prepping the ground. Once that is done, anyone can lay it. Just remember to offset the ends of the pieces and water it in good. Then keep it watered until it gets established. Make sure you use a good starter fertilizer on it, high in phosphorus for root development.

Diehard Hunter

Don't lay the sod until the ground is right. When it dries out some, get it leveled then lay the sod. If you don't, you will beat yourself to death every I e you mow from now on.

eightpointer

We live in the same neck of the woods...you will be sorry if you use fescue come July. Go with Bermuda..maybe tifway 419 or tifsport.

G8rntn

Man I have heard nothing but bad things from everyone I have talked to about Bermuda but you... I think I have about a two week window to get it done before I will have to wait until fall and do it.

woodsman87

eightpointer said:
We live in the same neck of the woods...you will be sorry if you use fescue come July. Go with Bermuda..maybe tifway 419 or tifsport.

I live in south TN, and my high school college job was turf management. It may be differnt where yall are, but I agree with you eightpointer. Bermuda is the way to go, if not that Zoysia. Although Zoysia is very expensive.
Fescue is my worst favorit lawn grass. It will be beautiful during this first spring and early summer and fall. And it will perhaps be beautiful this entire summer. But next summer will take a toll on it.
Some people think fescue is a "shade" grass, but that isn't the truth. All grass needs at least some sunlight to create photosynthesis, and although the shade keeps the heat from getting to it, it isn't able to do photosynthesis. Although it may be more shade tolerant than bermuda, do not think you can put it in a yard full of trees. I dont know what area yall are in, but I would think fescue would only grow up in the midwest US.

woodsman87

G8rntn said:
Man I have heard nothing but bad things from everyone I have talked to about Bermuda but you... I think I have about a two week window to get it done before I will have to wait until fall and do it.

IF you have a hard with full sun, bermuda is the way to go. It needs about 80% of the sun a day. If it only gets about 60% of the day lenghts sun, i would go with zoysia. But, your budget may not be able to get bermuda or zoysia, I am just putting my thoughts here.
Bermuda is pretty easy to maintain, and pretty drought resistant.

jb3

My parents have zoysia and unless you plan on keeping it cut short, it's a pain to walk on. And I mean short.

Latest posts