so why are the big tournaments held in Dayton?

WTM

been studying the maps and drove to some places on the lake to look at ramps and noticed that most of chickamauga is riverine from watts bar down to around the hiwassee confluence and from hiwassee down past harrison looks like the best habitat for bass. it looks very similar to KY lake as far as the bays and ledges go. looks to be a ton of wood post docks to shoot.

so do anglers start out at Dayton and run the lake all the way south?

Labboy

They run the lake every way. I think Dayton is used because of parking and a good ramp plus it doesn't hurt that a pro owns it. I keep my camper at blue water resort and fish out of there spring till fall. It just doesn't have the parking or the the ramps to handle the big tournaments like Dayton boat dock has. In the Elite series last year the top ones fished alot not to far out of that creek in the main river.

Kirk

The original stocking of Florida Strain bass occurred down around Harrison Bay and some other areas slightly upstream. For years, most of the boats left Dayton and headed down the river toward Harrison Bay. Caught big fish and brought them back to Dayton for weigh in and release. Now the river is fairly balanced. LOL

Crow Terminator

Dayton pays the most $ to be a host city for the events. That's why most are held there.

Lately, almost all of the big tournaments on TV have been won from the Sequoia nuke plant to Chester Frost area. The areas get a ton of pressure but seem to always produce.

rsimms

Yea, what Crow Terminator said. Dayton created a huge marketing plan directed specifically toward bass tournaments. See fishdayton.com. It has been extremely successful and they're attracted tons of regional and even national tournaments there. The resulting publicity has just created a ton of hype for the Dayton portion of the lake. But, you're correct that there is lots more water to the south. Chattanooga just hasn't done a good job marketing the lake/fishing opportunities. They finally followed Dayton's lead, partnering with them to create fishlakechick.com. But my sense is that they did mainly because Dayton's success more or less forced their hand.

Jmed

The majority of Florida Bass WERE NOT stocked below hwy 60. that being said MANY of the 10+s that they used to catch are caught below 60, including the state record. Florida genetics are evenly spread throughout now.

Dayton wants the big tournaments and pays big money to have them come to town. I must say that city does an awesome job with the tournaments. Ive fished several 300+ txs out of there and even worked for BASS and FLW when they come to town and I have always been impressed at how the whole city works to get the anglers in and out so smoothly.

Latest posts