So what is the point of allowing kids to shoot

Doskil

any buck when you restrict adult hunters to 9 points or better or spikes?

Noticed this in the regs for Moss Island WMA

Deer (Gun)- One hunt: Dec. 16-22. One deer,
antlered only. Antlered deer must be spike or
nine antler points or better.
Deer (Gun - Young Sportsman) - Open with
statewide seasons. No antler requirement on
this hunt.

EastTNcowsNwhitetails

I support the idea honestly. I want kids to grow up being hunters in tn. In those early years i think its important to shoot whatever the kid sees and wants to shoot. If they have a few under their belt maybe atart teaching restraint and waiting on mature deer for sure, but i support kids killing a deer their very first time they go hunting just like i did. I got lucky and killed a spike when i was 12 years old on my first hunt and ive been hooked ever since. Ive killed my share of spikes and 4 pointers and 6 pointers. Now i wont shoot a deer thats under 3.5 years old. Its a natural progression. I know when my 3 year old son is big enough to shoot a gun im going to take him to my best spot i have and let him shoot the first thing that comes through in hopes of hooking him for life. I think us adults can handle the youngsters shooting a few of our young bucks a few days out of the year.

EastTNcowsNwhitetails

Laurel hill does the same thing with their juvenile hunt and theyre 9 point or better. Ive taken my step kids on that hunt but no success.

cbhunter

EastTNcowsNwhitetails":w3gsnq47 said:
I support the idea honestly. I want kids to grow up being hunters in tn. In those early years i think its important to shoot whatever the kid sees and wants to shoot. If they have a few under their belt maybe atart teaching restraint and waiting on mature deer for sure, but i support kids killing a deer their very first time they go hunting just like i did. I got lucky and killed a spike when i was 12 years old on my first hunt and ive been hooked ever since. Ive killed my share of spikes and 4 pointers and 6 pointers. Now i wont shoot a deer thats under 3.5 years old. Its a natural progression. I know when my 3 year old son is big enough to shoot a gun im going to take him to my best spot i have and let him shoot the first thing that comes through in hopes of hooking him for life. I think us adults can handle the youngsters shooting a few of our young bucks a few days out of the year.
well said and very much agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doskil

I guess but it can also negate the effect of requiring adults to abide by restrictions?

EastTNcowsNwhitetails

Have you ever seen the look on a kid when they kill their first deer? That over rides anything in my book. If a few kids get to kill their first buck on a hunt like that i consider it a win for the wma and tn hunters. They wont wipe out the population in 2 days in my opinion. Find you a kid that wants to try hunting and take him on the hunt if u have never taken someone to kill their first deer. I get more nervous and more excited for them shooting at a small buck than if my personal best was closing in on me. Ive taken probably 6 or 7 people to kill their first deer. Its a goal i have every year is to hekp someone get their first deer whether its a kid or someone who has never been around hunting but is interested in it. Its a blast. Take them to a honey hole. U wont regret the feeling if they truly get excited like everyone ive taken.

HunterVol1143

EastTNcowsNwhitetails":e6826geh said:

This. I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULL MOOSE

EastTNcowsNwhitetails":1xc7laqf said:
Laurel hill does the same thing with their juvenile hunt and theyre 9 point or better. Ive taken my step kids on that hunt but no success.

I did not even know they had a juvenile hunt.

knightrider

Doskil":1sh5ndoc said:
I guess but it can also negate the effect of requiring adults to abide by restrictions?
Kids vs adults I can't see where any adult could have a problem with this, care to explain exactly how it's going to negate anything?

Doskil

knightrider":13f883w7 said:
Doskil":13f883w7 said:
Kids vs adults I can't see where any adult could have a problem with this, care to explain exactly how it's going to negate anything?

Sure there obviously is a biological reason for the antler restrictions right?

So why exempt kids from what you are trying to do to improve the deer herd on this particular property?

knightrider

Doskil":1zzaovbp said:
knightrider":1zzaovbp said:
Doskil":1zzaovbp said:

Sure there obviously is a biological reason for the antler restrictions right?

So why exempt kids from what you are trying to do to improve the deer herd on this particular property?
well actually no their isn't a biological reason only a bigger rack reason, they are not improving anything with antler restrictions biologicly. Just a place to give a few lucky people a year a chance at a giant. Twenty kids killing bucks that are less than 9 points are not effecting anything biological on a place the size of the island. Anyone who has a problem with a few kids getting hooked for life on a deer some adult has to pass on really needs to re examine their out look on hunting and kids.

Doskil

So like most places, the antler restrictions don't really work.

Its more a 'feel good' measure.

Besides looking at the regs again, the kids are only exempt during the young sportsman season.

During the "regular" seasons they have to abide by the antler restrictions :?:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
So, if a kid doesn't kill the first time out its bad and they won't be "hooked"? I know lots of people who hunt a lot and are dedicated to the sport who didn't kill a deer for years...maybe even heard it from some on here. Frankly I don't agree with special seasons or restrictions separate from the general regulations and I know I'm in the minority. Making hunting easy for the youth doesn't help the sport or the resource, it only makes folks feel good. I'm not opposed to people feeling good, but the ends don't justify the means.

REM7

I have no issue with any kid killing any deer that presents an opportunity. We were all kids once. The overwhelming excitement that a kid expresses after killing a deer is unforgettable and a true blessing to experience. I encourage everyone to take a kid hunting and share your knowledge about the outdoors with them. Kids are the future hunters, managers and protectors of this passion we all share in.

Latest posts