Snakes in January ?

sallee-bo

sallee-bo

I saw a pretty big dead snake in the middle of the road this morning. How in the world did he ever get warmed up enough to crawl out in the road.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I saw a video on facebook the other day of a snake moving around in the water under some ice.
Since it was on the internet it was probably fake though.

sallee-bo

sallee-bo

Well I promise you this wasn't fake. I nearly ran off the road trying to get a better look at it.

Crappieaddict

Crappieaddict

Attachments

• 659AC973-7E9C-4FDD-8953-12731602D9D2.jpeg
    659AC973-7E9C-4FDD-8953-12731602D9D2.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 678
S

Smo

I saw one almost identical to the one one the pic last February 22.

I just clean the leaves out of my boat this morning and snake up in the bow did cross my mind.

I’ve seen them as late as late November too.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
sallee-bo":10fw182b said:
Well I promise you this wasn't fake. I nearly ran off the road trying to get a better look at it.
Lol I don't doubt it at all.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

CBU93

CBU93

Supporter
I have seen several in my lifetime while duck hunting in January when you get those warm spell up into the fifties.

M

Mike Belt

When I used to rabbit hunt I saw a few with snow on the ground when the afternoon temps would jump up. They crawled out of their holes but still weren't very mobile.

Biggun4214

Biggun4214

When I was growing up, a friend of my Dad got bit by a copperhead. There was a pretty good snow at the time.

A friend of mine also had a cottonmouth strike at him a couple of years ago while he was visiting his Mom in Oklahoma. The snake hit his pant leg. He said it would have probably got him good if it hadn't been cold. He told me it was in the low 30's at the time.

Gravey

Gravey

Supporter
I was in Arkansas last weekend and one of the other groups hunting saw a cottonmouth. Was down on my lease in Hickman county in early January and my buddy saw a green snake. Couldn’t believe it.

Big Ben

Big Ben

We were hunting green timber down in Arkansas a few years back in late Jan and one guy couple tree's over started shooting into the water. One of the biggest cottonmouths I ever seen had swam up on him. We busted ice getting the boat in that morning so it was cold. The local guys we were hunting with said due to all the rain they had got and flooded a lot of the area must have pushed it out of it's den.

G

grouser

Found a dead garter snake in a small stream, on 1/23, must have been active curing the warm spell and got caught when the temps fell,

S

Setterman

grouser":11lgja9p said:
Found a dead garter snake in a small stream, on 1/23, must have been active curing the warm spell and got caught when the temps fell,

Garter snakes are incredibly tough when it comes to cold. I've seen them out in the snow