Snake Gaiters

Rakkin6

How many of you guys in the middle Tennessee area where gaiter or snake boots? I am in Clarksville/Fort Campbell area and I just picked some up. Now I have spent a lot of time in the woods being that I was stationed at Fort Campbell for 21 years and all the training we did plus all the hunting I have done. I have only came across 2 poisonous snakes in that whole time. A pygmy rattler and a copperhead. So I was just wondering what your encounters have been like in this area. I think that the older I get the more cautious I am lol.

scn

With a bunch of miles in this area over the years, I have only seen a handful.

But, they have killed two rattlers right around my camper as well. So, they are there. I normally don't use a light in early morning turkey maneuvering. So, I feel a lot better with them on when I can't see where I am putting my feet.

They are out. I watched 3 non-poisonous snakes crawl past my camper on Wednesday.

REN

Not up that far north or east but in the 20years I've lived here running in Wilson, smith, trousdale, And a few others I've never seen one while hunting. Now fishing on Old Hickory and southern Alabama is a different story :)

Setterman

Not west by any means but I see several every year. I fought the snake boot thing for the last time this year and bought a pair of good boots and gaiters. So far I love this far more than any snake boot I've worn

Setterman

Found this guy yesterday. This one is full grown, and I would've pulled him out for a better pic but he had just eaten and didn't want him to puke up his meal

Attachments

• 54011FC3-1C6C-4BAF-ACE6-5A3150207F34.jpeg
    54011FC3-1C6C-4BAF-ACE6-5A3150207F34.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 166

Shanman

Gaiters and Lowa hikers, extremely comfortable. I've found that the gaiters are fantastic for protecting your lower legs from briars and wet vegetation. Also wear them when weedeating in shorts. Run across several copperheads at Catoosa every season and just feel alot more comfortable wearing the gaiters.

Rakkin6

Found this guy yesterday. This one is full grown, and I would've pulled him out for a better pic but he had just eaten and didn't want him to puke up his meal
That thing is nasty looking, I freaking hate snakes. I know when I go back home to Morgan County in the summer I seem them all the time. I like to wade the creeks along Obed and just fish for about 5 or 6 miles. See them all the time.

BigRed1080

Not up that far north or east but in the 20years I've lived here running in Wilson, smith, trousdale, And a few others I've never seen one while hunting. Now fishing on Old Hickory and southern Alabama is a different story :)
I was about to say around Old Hickory is different. I have seen two snakes in the last week fishing off the banks in Sumner Co.

thirdwilliam

We see one to three rattle snakes just about every year on out farm in Wilson County. saw my first copper head year before last. Snake boots for me if off the road. My buddy will not set foot off the road during the summer, unless he is on a tractor. I am thinking about gaiters as well

Derek

We have a farm in Humphries County and have Rattlers and Copperheads. My father was bitten by a copperhead about 10 years ago while picking up brush. Got him on the hand. Bad mojo. But, I have never considered snake gaiters. Maybe I'm a fool. lol

String Music

This is my second season with the Crackshot gaiters (got them on Amazon). I used Lowa all-leather hiking boots last year but am trying some Salomon 4d boots this year. I'll never go back to snake boots.

tnanh

I see rattle snakes sometimes but I question the effectiveness of snake boots in the hills. Some hills are steep enough that I could be face to face with one sometimes. I stepped on a rattle snake in my basement about 3 years ago and he hit me in my regular muck boots and did not penetrate. I was lucky.

JDUB

I hunt W TN river bottoms and have had encounters with Cotton Mouths. I wear snake boots

SwampChicken

Been wearing the ariat snake boots for years in terrain anywhere from the swamps of the coast to the rugged mountains. I've been wanting to get a pair of gaiters for quite some time just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Latest posts