Smoothbore slug

cecil30-30

I have inherited a older mod remington 1100 20 ga 2 3/4 inch with a fixed improved cylinder barrel. It has a scope mount and a scope on it. I was wondering what kind of accuracy should I expect out of a scoped smooth bore barrel? I have no shotgun slug experience. Im going to leave it as is since I already have a remington 1100 20.

iowavf

My mossberg has a smooth barrel and using Brenneke slugs it was very accurate at 100 and inside an 8" circle at 150 just about every time. I used a red dot for the scope.

Hunter 257W

I tried slugs in my Mossberg 8 shot riot gun years ago. Even put a Leupold 2 1/2X fixed scope on it. Accuracy was too discouraging to use so bought an In-Line muzzle loader instead since those were the two weapon choices for the WMA I want to deer hunt. Now I certainly didn't do an exhaustive testing of all the slugs available at the time so obviously I never found the best accuracy my gun was capable of. For sure a lot of hunters used slugs in smooth bore guns for years and killed deer with them.

Funny story as to the eventual "home" my Leupold 2 1/2X scope found. When I bought one of the tiny 22 rimfire Chipmunk rifles for my daughter I was thinking of putting a scope on it and saw that Leupold laying unused so it's been on that little rifle for about 13 years now. I told her that her Chipmunk probably had the most expensive scope on it of any kid 22 in the country. :)

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Uggg brings back alot of memories of hunting deer in Weakley County when rifles were legal everywhere except here.

Killed my first deer with a 20 gauge slug out of a Winchester model 37A.

Lucky doesn't even begin to describe how I killed it. :D

mike243

Slugs kill deer dead , tracking aint a problem that I have ever seen, never made a bad shot yet with 1 but they make big holes . 100y is the farthest I have killed with 1. up north they take shotgun hunting serious .

Chiflyguy

Get a few different brands and give them a try.
I have a Mossberg 500 fully rifled and it gets 3 inch groups with 2 3/4 accutips. When I go to 3 in. Accutips, it's all over the place.
I live in Illinois.
I bought a CVA Accura last year and shoots 2 in groups at 150 yds.
Shotgun is retired now.
I do have a buddy I hunt with that uses a 1100 20 gauge and his gun shoots Winchester slugs great. Remingtons don't work for his gun.

Tnshooter15

For a smooth bore I don't think you can beat a berrenke. Thirty years ago I shot them and could hit a three inch circle at a hundred yards

iowavf

For a smooth bore I don't think you can beat a berrenke. Thirty years ago I shot them and could hit a three inch circle at a hundred yards
I'd agree. I tried several different brands when I use to use my 500 smooth barrel and Brenneke 3" mags are dead accurate and yes they put deer down hard. I had no problem hitting beer cans at 100 yards using the red dot.

Rakkin6

Has far has gun hunting goes I only use slug guns because where I hunt it is ML/Slug only. I do use sabot slugs though through rifled barrels. Has long has you have a good rifled choke in it you should be good to between 75-100 yards. Slug guns are very finicky just because you try one brand and it doesn't shoot well that doesn't mean another brand won't shoot great. Me and my buddy both have Benelli SBE 2 with fully rifled barrels. Mine eats Winchester Partition Gold and his likes the Remington Accutips. Same exact gun bought at the same exact time. If we switch ammo they both pattern like crap.

Latest posts