SMOKING A WHOLE HIND QUARTER ? UPDATED ITS ON THE SMOKER

Forvols

Well here it is thawing(2days ago picture) and some loin Im going to butterfly and stuff, then ready for the smoker, and on the smoker for 4hours

Attachments

• HINDQTR n LOIN.jpg
    HINDQTR n LOIN.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 142
  • ready for smoker.jpg
    ready for smoker.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 132
  • On smoker.jpg
    On smoker.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 153

Forvols

Doesn't the cold air just suck the heat away from the smoker?
Do you use an insulated blanket of some type?
No actually(and surprisingly) the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker really retains temp and runs smoothly. Before I had a propane cabinet style smoker and that one I could not maintain a good temp. Today I had to shut down vents to keep it at 225-250 temp range, it was wanting to run hot (I have gotten it up to 350 before). I use it all year round for smoking pork butts, summer sausage, snack sticks, chicken(whole and separated), turkey etc etc. About the only addition I would do or have done is put up a wind block if its really windy and cold. The other end of the temp range is for summer sausage, snack sticks, or hot links (really any of the sausage I make) I run it at a max temp of 170 min 160. Surprisingly again the Weber will run at that temp and be very stable once I set the vents.. But for sausage its a different charcoal arrangement in the basket to support those lower temps.

waynesworld

I used my pellet smoker last night to do some chicken breast and i had to use a little higher setting but they were great. I may try to do a hole leg sounds like a great idea.

Forvols

I ended up with about 5lbs of pulled deer. Didnt pull as easy as pork butt and did require getting rid of some remaining connective tissue. Taste amazing. I can see some great meals in the future with this. Total time 7hrs on the smoker (225-250) smoked with apple and pecan wood. 6hrs in the oven (225) covered, and 2cups of apple juice. House still smells like a BBQ joint (which aint bad atall).

Attachments

• 5lb of pulled hindqtr.jpg
    5lb of pulled hindqtr.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 116

LanceS4803

There used to be a BBQ shack in Clarksville, literally a cinder block building, that would smoke a deer hindquarter. I have never been able to even get close to that.
But, your method shows real promise!

Omega

There used to be a BBQ shack in Clarksville, literally a cinder block building, that would smoke a deer hindquarter. I have never been able to even get close to that.
But, your method shows real promise!
Is that the one that burned up, on the other side of HW24 exit 86? I used to go down there for lunch now and then, miss that place.

LanceS4803

Steve's BBQ, across the Cunningham bridge on Hwy 13, top of the hill. Old, OLD black gentleman (which is why we called it Old Steve's) that could do BBQ like nobody's business.
I think it went out of business in the late 80s, early 90s.

philsanchez76

I ended up with about 5lbs of pulled deer. Didnt pull as easy as pork butt and did require getting rid of some remaining connective tissue. Taste amazing. I can see some great meals in the future with this. Total time 7hrs on the smoker (225-250) smoked with apple and pecan wood. 6hrs in the oven (225) covered, and 2cups of apple juice. House still smells like a BBQ joint (which aint bad atall).
That looks amazing. Are you saying it took 7 hours in smoker plus 6 hours in over? Total of 13 hours to cook? What internal temp did you end up reaching when you finally called it "done?"

Forvols

I wanted to do a pulled vs sliced temp. So I went to IT of 200 like I do with pork butts. If sliced then it would have been ready at 140-160. And yes 7hrs smoker with smoke for 5hrs, then 6hrs in the oven cover and add 2cups of apple juice for moisture. Every hour I also uncovered and spooned over the drippings. Let it cool to 120-110 for rest and then pulled. After pulled it seemed kind of dry so I added some of the liquid covered in the two pans and set oven to 200 for another 2hrs...then called it done. Very lean so had to add moisture, more work than a pork butt..dang good. I have another hindquarter may do it the same but adjust some...like less time on smoker (after 140 meat aint taking no more smoke) and more time in the oven with easier to control temp. Maybe lower smoker temp to start also a consideration maybe 200-225. I think it would still take a IT of 200+ to get the pulled breakdown.

philsanchez76

I wanted to do a pulled vs sliced temp. So I went to IT of 200 like I do with pork butts. If sliced then it would have been ready at 140-160. And yes 7hrs smoker with smoke for 5hrs, then 6hrs in the oven cover and add 2cups of apple juice for moisture. Every hour I also uncovered and spooned over the drippings. Let it cool to 120-110 for rest and then pulled. After pulled it seemed kind of dry so I added some of the liquid covered in the two pans and set oven to 200 for another 2hrs...then called it done. Very lean so had to add moisture, more work than a pork butt..dang good. I have another hindquarter may do it the same but adjust some...like less time on smoker (after 140 meat aint taking no more smoke) and more time in the oven with easier to control temp. Maybe lower smoker temp to start also a consideration maybe 200-225. I think it would still take a IT of 200+ to get the pulled breakdown.
Awesome thx for experimenting! I have processed all my meat down so I don't have any more whole leg quarters, but I have one last Alabama hunt coming up and I will be excited to get one more deer so I can try this. Thx!

TNRidgeRider

Big John's BBQ in Lawrenceburg used to make the best deer BBQ, haven't found anything that can come close. I ruined 2 sets of shoulders this year trying to recreate. My wife loves jerky too much for me to use the hind quarters though.

TAFKAP

How have I never heard of BBQ omelets?!!!

Breakfast tomorrow morning...

Hell, an omelet is just whatever fillings you want. I was introduced to using BBQ a few years ago by a restaurant in downtown Memphis. Big ol fatty 3-egg omelet, with a wad of bbq in the middle. I liked using chopped onion & fresh jalapenos in mine, and they'd finish with an easy drizzle of BBQ sauce. Not too much, or it takes over way too hard.