Smokeless?

BirdDog123

Hey guys,

I just bought my TC Omega last week and have been reading about muzzleloaders. The one big DON'T has been to never load smokeless powder into a muzzleloader.. yet I have seen several people on this site talk about using smokeless with a savage.. Are they referring to something else or are they using true gun powder?

(either way, I would never try this with my Omega btw lol)

bigtex

The Savage M/L is built to handle the pressure of smokeless powder. Do NOT use smokeless in any M/L unless it was specifically built to use it.

tasaman

The Omega can't shoot smokeless. It also cannot be made to shoot smokeless. There are however any number of guns that can be made into smokeless guns with a barrel change such as a Remington ML, TC Pro Hunter or Encore or any of the variants. Also any centerfire action can have a 40, 45, or 50 cal smokeless barrel screwed on add in a breach plug and a bolt head to hold the primer and you have a smokeless gun. There are other things that need to be addressed but you get the idea.

One of the newest ways to go is to get a H&R in 45/70 and have it threaded for a Savage breach plug and you have a light weight fairly cheap smokeless gun. The bolt guns you can expect to pay about $600 for the barrel, breach plug, etc to get one done.

ratsnakeboogy

BirdDog123 said:
and I am guessing this allows the bullet to drop less at farther distances??

You will get more fps, but not having to clean as often was the big draw for me. No smoke to obscure my target after the shot is also nice.

tasaman

A big one for me is being able to watch the impact though the scope. Try doing that with a cloud of smoke in front of you.

iowavf

I've watched every deer fall through my scope using Blackhorn powder in my Encore. Less than half the smoke compared to 777 that I was using.

Latest posts