Sitka Turkey Vest Review.

REN

obviously per the price this is not a vest for everyone but I got one from my work to try out so I figured Id post my thoughts here incase anyone was looking at them.

Generally speaking I use a TacTater 2 with kickstand and overall have been happy with it the past 4-5 years using it. I have also used the ALPS kickstand version as well and like it but the Tater TO ME fits better and has a better seat plus seems a little lighter and less hot to wear.
My complaint with the Tater2 have been minimal, while great it for me has a few things I would prefer updates to. Its built more for bigger folks, even with everything tightened down its still pretty loose on me (6"3 165lbs). 2nd thing is the pockets (non call pockets) are pretty lacking and some are hard to get into if you have bigger hands. The kickstand is awesome but if you are trying to not use it by sitting on a tree that has a slope to it then its can be a real pain in the A. lastly it is still a little hot to use and can feel slightly heavy when loaded down.

So this year I wanted to find something that's a little more minimal with no frame to it for some places I hunt and dont need it. Got the Sitka vest from work to try out and provide my thoughts on it.

Pros - Cons
  • Lightweight for sure. Now this has 2 reason, one being the material used is lighter by nature, has no frame and overall doesnt have unused material sections on it to add weight. Now this also has a slight con to it because non call pocket space is VERY limited. For me not a huge issue because I dont generally carry a bunch of stuff to the woods outside of gloves, face mask, TP and a snack.
  • There are inside pockets that will fit all of that just fine. 1 bigger pocket on the inside left side, 2 medium size pockets on the inside right side.
    • This is where I plan to put gloves and all non call related items.
  • Fit and adjust-ability is very nice. Adjustable shoulder straps with markings for size (can set to small, medium, large, XL etc and they are marked on the staps so you know both sides match).
    • Chest area also is adjustable for skinny folks and bigger fellas which again is nice for me.
    • seat length is adjustable pretty easy to fit taller people or shorter people.
    • seat storage is actually a pretty cool design. Its like a cross between the Tater2 fast seat and a manual one. Quick buckles allow you to pull it down fast and when you stand and want it to be up and tight so it doesn't flap around then you just pull the straps tight and your done. IMO pretty neat design
  • Seat itself is good but could have a little more density to it. There are cons when there is to much though by adding weight and making it heavy. it is a high density foam though so it should work fine for longer sits but you may end up with a numb butt after a long sit. Will know more on this as I use it in the field this spring
  • one thing that I dont like is the bottom of the seat (part that goes on the ground) is the camo material part. This is kinda silly imo because it will be slick and make the seat slide if you are on wet or slopped areas. Would have prefered a more gripped material to keep it from sliding. It is however waterproof so thats a plus.
  • now the bad for some.
    • Overall storage is pretty bare. there is no rear OPEN pocket like most vests so there is nowhere to put a water bottle, binos or other larger items people use them for. it DOES have a hydration bladder support so thats what I plan to use with it instead of carrying water bottles. I generally run a bino chest harness so again for me the lack of rear open pocket isnt a huge deal. The one of my tater2 I use but most seasons it just collect debrie from walking around and Im always scared stuff fell out of it lol.
    • This does mean there is no huge rear pocket to put a dead turkey in HOWEVER the vest comes with an integrated leg strap on the shoulder area you can attach to a turkey to tote it out. Again for me this is fine because I generally dont put a turkey in the rear pocket, I just carry it out with a tote or over my shoulder.
      • Instead of a open rear pocket it has more of a back pack type storage area.
        • PRO for this is it will give you much better spine support against a tree
        • CON its not very big so will only allow you to put like a rain jacket or some smaller items in there
        • 2nd con is you cannot access it without taking the vest off OR having a buddy grab something out of it for you
    • Back storage does have side straps so in theory you could attach stuff on the outside of it like a additional storage MOLLE system or just strap extra clothes to it
    • Again overall pocket storage is pretty bare. Does have a box call pocket, but its vertical with a magnetic closure so you could use it for other stuff. I love its vertical vs horizontal so Im not worried about stuff falling out of it like some of those pockets
    • has a stiff waterproof magnetic pot call holder that holds 2. it also has a bungie strap on it to use just to make sure it doesnt open. pocket is fairly small though so 2 bigger pot calls may be hard to get in there. That pocket also has a built in diaphram holder which is a nice plus.
    • One area that is a big con for me is the "striker" pocket will only hold about 2 strikers. I generally carry 1-2 pots but have about 4-6 strikers so Ill have to play around with it to see where I can or want to put the extra ones I like to carry.

Overall - its a VERY VERY lightweight vest with very good quality materials on it. Seat is average, but if the purpose is to be lightweight and move then it fits with the approach and will be fine for that type of hunting. Im actually VERY intreged by the back pack style rear section. One of my biggest grips with normal vests is my spine and back get sore leaning on a tree for long period of times. This would add more support and cushion to that and maybe alleviate it for longer periods of time. Pocket limitation is fine if you are like me and carry minimal stuff and calls with you, however if you like to carry lots of non call related stuff with you then you may find it restricting. My only big complaint is no water bottle holder/pocket, however like stated above I have a 2L bladder I will use with its integrated system which may make that irreverent. You COULD use the rear pack storage for a water bottle but that may be an issue trying to lean up on a tree and it pushing against your back.

Obviously its expensive and for most people a vest isnt worth that kinda price but for some comfort is worth more. COST/WORTH is always in the eyes of the buyer. TO ME its one of the best lightweight style vests out there but again thats just my opinion and I didnt pay close to retail for it to try out. Anyways thats my thoughts on it and feel free to ask me any questions about it for clarity or opinions if you were looking at them. Be happy to help.

NOTE - I am not sponsored by Sitka or in anyway get anything from them for posting this lol.

Gravey

Thanks for the write up. I glanced at them but the price even with a discount is steep. I've used the tactical tatr 2 in the past but as you pointed out it doesn't work well leaning up against a tree that flares out at the bottom so I got rid of it. My main gripe on most vests are they're too hot. Using the knight & Hale run n gun now and like it pretty well. Anything up against my back has me sweating bullets if covering much ground.

REN

Thanks for the write up. I glanced at them but the price even with a discount is steep. I've used the tactical tatr 2 in the past but as you pointed out it doesn't work well leaning up against a tree that flares out at the bottom so I got rid of it. My main gripe on most vests are they're too hot. Using the knight & Hale run n gun now and like it pretty well. Anything up against my back has me sweating bullets if covering much ground.

100% agree on the Hot part. This is what I liked about this one when I first saw it. the material itself is much better and breaths so much more. the rear back part of it is MUCH smaller then the normal footprint on vests Ive used. In addition you would put COLD water in the bladder on the back and it would have a cooling effect OR not use the bladder to keep it more breathable. Just thoughts though.

Maude

Thanks for the review. I like sitka stuff but the price tag on the vest turned my head the other way. There are a lot of good, much less expensive options. Never even considered it.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I looked at one the other day in the store. Very nice vest. I agree 100% with your review from looking at it in the store.

Bgoodman30

Nice review. I just bought one after wearing out the cushion on my over decade old Ol Tom. I haven't quite figured out the pockets yet. Especially for pruners. Thermacell etc. Other than that feels great.

I just went ahead and got the Sitka. Seems like with other stuff I buy over and over again but once I get the Sitka product I am usually done looking.

👍🏻👍🏻

Steelhead

I know this post is older but I just found it. I have a few vests, but I really like the Sitka vest. I purchased it on sale for $150 so I'm ecstatic. I have two Alps vests, one is the one with the kickstand. I really like that vest if I'm sitting for long periods. It has great pockets and is very comfortable but it is a bit bulky and heavy for run and gun. I hardly use the other Alps vest. It has a ton of pockets but I don't like the horizontal striker pockets and have lost a couple. For run and gun I have a RNG 200 I got for $50. I really like it except for the pot call pockets which are very tight on a full size pot call.

The Sitka vest is just what I've been looking for. It's well thought out at just about every possible detail for a run and gun vest. It is light, breathable, has adequate pockets. I like the pack as it easily holds my ranger or can hold my outer shell on a day that warms up. I love that its Camo pattern is Sub Alpine as it matches my Equinox Guard Turkey hoody and pants. In additions, Rig em Right uses the same Camo pattern for their Hideout XL blind when I want to hunt with a blind. I like the game carrying straps on the shoulder. If I had a couple of nit picks, it would be that the pot call holder is grey instead of sub alpine and there are no loops for extra shot shells. That's no big deal though since I just put a few shell on a Carlson shell holder and slip it into one to the inside pockets. Overall, the $250 price point is a little steep for a vest, but this is one great vest and I got it on sale so there's that.

REN

I know this post is older but I just found it. I have a few vests, but I really like the Sitka vest. I purchased it on sale for $150 so I'm ecstatic. I have two Alps vests, one is the one with the kickstand. I really like that vest if I'm sitting for long periods. It has great pockets and is very comfortable but it is a bit bulky and heavy for run and gun. I hardly use the other Alps vest. It has a ton of pockets but I don't like the horizontal striker pockets and have lost a couple. For run and gun I have a RNG 200 I got for $50. I really like it except for the pot call pockets which are very tight on a full size pot call.

The Sitka vest is just what I've been looking for. It's well thought out at just about every possible detail for a run and gun vest. It is light, breathable, has adequate pockets. I like the pack as it easily holds my ranger or can hold my outer shell on a day that warms up. I love that its Camo pattern is Sub Alpine as it matches my Equinox Guard Turkey hoody and pants. In additions, Rig em Right uses the same Camo pattern for their Hideout XL blind when I want to hunt with a blind. I like the game carrying straps on the shoulder. If I had a couple of nit picks, it would be that the pot call holder is grey instead of sub alpine and there are no loops for extra shot shells. That's no big deal though since I just put a few shell on a Carlson shell holder and slip it into one to the inside pockets. Overall, the $250 price point is a little steep for a vest, but this is one great vest and I got it on sale so there's that.

I used mine all year last year (have a tac-tater2 and alps as well) and really liked it personally. I ended up going to it 90% of the season just due to the light weight, ease of use, and breath ability. Its not without some faults like all things but maybe they will correct those in a future version. I fully plan on using it again all this season.

Latest posts