single shot

PREDATORDJ365

My grandfather passed awhile back and my dad decided to give me his old single shot 12 ga. It's a h&r full choke . First gun i ever turkey hunted with. I haven't got to pattern it yet but i have decided I'm going to kill a bird or two with it this season. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on some shells to try. After the season I'm going to send it off and have it set up for screw in chokes and make it a dedicated turkey gun. Anyone know of a good place to send the barrel to, that they have had experience with and does good work.

Southern Sportsman

I would try hevi 6s. Lead 4s will give you a lot fewer pellets and no real advantage. With a factory full barrel you will probably be limited to 40 yars max. No reason to shoot anything bigger than 6s

As for a place to send it, google "Sumtoy". Everybody i have ever talked to that has sent him their gun has had great things to say.

Lawrence

Southern Sportsman said:
I would try hevi 6s. Lead 4s will give you a lot fewer pellets and no real advantage. With a factory full barrel you will probably be limited to 40 yars max. No reason to shoot anything bigger than 6s

As for a place to send it, google "Sumtoy". Everybody i have ever talked to that has sent him their gun has had great things to say.

I had an old H and R factory full choke barrel I used back in the 80's and I always shot lead #4's and it did great out to 40 yards. Although that was way before the introdution of HTL shot

PREDATORDJ365

Thanks for the suggestions, i haven't ever shot past forty anyway. I always keep my shots under forty. I've been hunting with a twenty for years just to make it a little more interesting. This h&r should be fun to work with. I'll definitely look into sumtoy.

Uncle Jesse

I use Kent lead 2 3/4 with 1-1/2 of #5s in mine. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one out to 40 yards with it. Been using the NEF with the Kents since 08.

PREDATORDJ365

Going to pattern tomorrow. I picked up a few boxes of shells tonight. I got a box of kent 6's,box of federal 4's,nitro 5's, and winchester 6's that my 870shots likes so well. I can feel the pain already.

Uncle Jesse

:D It's not so bad if you're shooting at a turkey though.

Are you talking about Remington Nitros? If so, then mine did good with the same shell too, but I was shooting through a Lead Sled.

PREDATORDJ365

Yeah, in the heat of the moment i know i won't feel the kick. And it was Remington nitros. Glad that job is done. I order a limbsaver recoil pad for it last night. I know it ain't much help but gotta be a little better than no pad.

Latest posts