single pin

Crow Terminator

A better comparison would be, that HHA is the Whisker Biscuit of the single pin sliders.

It's crude but widely popular, BUT there are better alternatives out there. And at the same time, it will still "get the job done".

As I said, the biggest complaint I had with one was that it is heavy. It's actually just unbalanced for the weight...it's really short and compact so there's no room to evenly distribute the weight. And unless they've changed something...you can expect the black screws/bolts to rust too. I had mine for a season and never hunted in the rain but just the bow "sweating" from going from the cool house to the humid outdoors, was enough to make it turn rusty on the bolts and look like I had-had it for about 10 yrs.

UTGrad

tn droptine said:
I switched to a single pin last year, but I think I will be switching back to a multi pin. To me there were too many instances where a shot had to be made quickly and I missed opportunities since I did not have time to adjust my pin for the yardage.

My only concern with a single pin - when I had time to make adjustments it was great. I have seen some where you just adjust it by rotating a few clicks for the range difference, that style may work well. The kind I have now you have to loosen a knob and slide the sight up and down to markings you make for various ranges on a tape. Loosening the knob a little once you settle in for the hunt works, but still takes time away from the shot

You can have the best of both worlds and shoot a multi pin slider. I currently shoot a 3 pin Black Gold Ascent. My pins are 25,40,50 and my 50 yard pin is a .010 that I have marked on the tape and can move down to shoot out to 120 yards.

stik

tn droptine said:
To me there were too many instances where a shot had to be made quickly and I missed opportunities since I did not have time to adjust my pin for the yardage.

no adjustment necessary. locked on 23 yds, i am 3 inches high at 15 yds, 6 inches low at 35.

k-i-d-d

Agree with Gobblegrunt... Spot Hogg hands down... Since I got the Tommy Hogg, my HHA slider has been in the closet... lol

bowhunter163

Ok so I tried an Apex Covert today and ended up keeping it on my bow . This little thing is sweet ! It's not very expensive and built great ! It really suprised me and I would recommend it to anyone so far . Will update on how well it holds together .

tree_ghost

I used a multi pin all my life until 3d season this past spring when i went to an HHA. I thought i would go back to a multi pin for deer season but why? I practice from my stand regularly and with the setup I'm shooting now i set my pin on 30yds. @20yds I'm 1 1/2" high and @40yds I'm 3 1/2" low. This gives me the ability to make a "quick" shot from 0-40 yards without adjusting a thing plus my sight picture is clean and simple to read in the heat of the moment. If i have to shoot past 40yds then i would be taking plenty of time for a shot like that anyhow to make sure that i can range and adjust accordingly.

buckaroo

I read years ago about worlds best bowhunter,who killed animals at 100 yds often. His sights were 20-40-60-80-100 the pins were far enough from each other that you can see clearly for those 30-50-70-90 yds shots. After using single pins for 15 yrs I tried it and love it, I only have 3 set on 20, 40, 60 you never know when you want to shoot at clear open shot of a turkey or the long shot practicing which is the best practice for close shots

buckaroo

I had one, for those 25 and in shots it works great, but if you have 8 seconds to shoot a deer say 35 yds in small opening, you won't have the time to move pin. Thats why I like 3 pins

Droopy

Been shooting the same Toxonics single pin slider since 2000. Been on several bows and many treks thru these mountains.

Droopy

Actually looking at my bow, I'm still using an Alpine Archery soft lock quiver since it was introduced way back then too. Both have been time tested quality products.

PillsburyDoughboy

I am hunting with a Trophy Ridge Fixed Single Pin .Using Kentucky wind age for elevation adjustments.

While I find that extremely adequate in the field it certainly holds down my 3 D scores.

I will be switching to a HHA optimizer after the season is over and using it for 3 D stuff. Probably set it on 30 yards and leave it for Hunting and continue to use Kentucky Windage for most shots up to 35 yards.

REM7

Bowtech Man said:
Spott Hogg Hogg father is the toughest single pin sight I've been around as far as all sights go.

I liked it on your setup, but aint got that Bowtech Man money. Lol
Still love HHA you set me up. May hand it down to the boy next season and come see you.

PillsburyDoughboy

Eric Kilby said:
I ended up with hha slider and love it, I set it at 30 and I hold dead on 0-30 and aim high 30-40 .. killed a buck at 40yds with it set on 30 and hit exactly where I wanted elevation wise just a little forward in the shoulder... don't believe I will ever go back to a multi pin sight

My bow is not quite as fast as yours apparently .

With a fixed pin at 30 yards I am 1 inch low. 6 inches low at 35 and at 4o 9 inches low.

I feel I am good 0 to 35 with pretty much dead on hold. Counting on the deer to duck a little at any of thos ranges so I just hold dead on for the most part.

It's that 35-40 where I would really have to scratch my head and think about it.

Latest posts