Single Hen Decoy vs. Jakes

Daniel_Boone

Today I had a single hen decoy out in the middle of a fourwheeler trail and called two Jakes in. I heard them putting as they were making there way in. They came out in the fourwheeler trail about 50 yards on down from where my decoy sat (and me about 12 yards off the trail to the side of the decoy). I gave some soft clucks to get them to turn and see my decoy, as they were more or less crossing the path, when the front Jake saw the decoy he putted around in a circle or two appearing nervous. He then putt off down the hill with the other Jake in tow. I didn't expect them to startle like that at all because:

1)It's not like they were really close to the decoy upon spotting it for the first time(they were like 50 yards away)

2)I had been yelping to the Jakes on there way in so they should have been expecting and looking for a hen.

Because it seemed odd that they were startled under those conditions I wondered if they had possibly spotted me. I feel confident I was well hid against a big tree and had my gun up and locked on them before they ever came into view, I didn't have to move at all. Stumped.

Have you all ever had a Jake or set of Jakes startle over a single hen decoy after calling them into view?

REN

I try not to use any these days unless I'm setting up in the dark in a large field. I only use them then in hopes they see them and fly down close otherwise I very rarely use them. I have list more birds but trying to get a decoy set up then I've gained by it being there.

Latest posts