Sierra Gameking 180 Gr. Boattail Softpoint ?????

MsuFinProf

I am planning my first elk hunt for next fall and need some opinions from the bullet gurus. What would be your opinion of the Sierra Gameking 180 grain boattail softpoint as to performance on elk? I am not familiar with Sierra and its reputation. This will be Federal Premium factory ammo. Thanks.

Kimberman

If I'm going out West on an Elk hunt, I would would be shooting a premium bullet as long as it shot well in my gun. No sense in saving $ on one of the most important factor of a hunting trip.

cdw338

I would be using 200 pertition with that gun. The samething I will use out of my 300 ultramag if I go back. I have a friend
that lives in Colorado and has the same gun and uses the Nosler
200 pertition out of his.

The 200's carry alot of energy. So you can reach out there and
touch them.

Tikkabuck

When I lived out west and hunted elk,mulies,hogs and black bears, I was just a young dumb hunter (teens to late 20's)that thought all a man needed was one good rifle,I had no idea that more rifles were needed,no one ever told me it was impossable to hunt with just one rifle. WHAT WAS I THINKING. :crazy: :crazy:

I hunted with a lowly old Sako Finwolf in .308,I didn't reload at that time so I was stuck with buying ammo over the counter. Both of my cousins who were guides in Colo.(now deceased) and myself always used ,Federal Premium ammo with 165 gr.Sierra Game Kings and they are still my go to hunting bullets now that I reload. Never had to chase one very far ever and they accounted for alot of heads and meat over the years. One through the lungs and their going down.

A

Anonymous

TB that same bullet 5-600 fps faster will act different,,I would hope and pray the 200 Partition would shoot 3/4 moa if not I would try the accubond,if that didnt work I would try the 220 Partition,,if that didnt work i would try the 190 Hornady.

the 210 Partition from a 338 Ultra has to be the ultimate elk round.

Latest posts