Side scan question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so unless I change my mind (depending on what wtm says about his) I am going to go with the Garmin Striker 7s or sv or whatever it is.

My questions are, how fast do you have to be going for the side scan to work properly?
Can I or can I not mount it to the trolling motor?

SilverFox

I've used Humminbird from 3-5 mph. It'll read faster but any bubbles created by the boat that go across the transducer mess up the image. Slower it still reads but the chart speed dictates the image quality. With Humminbird I set the chart speed around 4-5 with a speed of 3-4 mph on the boat. That was idle speed for me. If you're going slower you'll just slow your chart speed down... rule of thumb is match the mph or mph +1 adjusting as needed.

You can mount on TM but if the TM moves direction it changes the picture. Go to YouTube and watch some of the videos. As long as you're going straight the image will be just like having it on the transom.

Not familiar at all with Garmin.

bluball

When buying a sidescan unit bigger is better.With a smaller screen it's harder to tell what your looking at compared to a larger unit.Alot of times you will be running mapping and sides can on the same screen.Sidescan needs to be on the console on boat moving 2-6mph for best results.You can run it on the trolling motor but it's harder to interpet what your seeing there unless your going in a straight line and you have a higher chance of interference there.I run sidescan front and back myself.Another thing for best images you will be scanning 40-60ft a side if you want to find a lot of structure, you will miss a small drove steak bed if you dont.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

bluball

Oh and I know nothing about garmin,never been around them.Ive been around Lowrance and hummingbird,have both on my boat.If you have any questions about Lowrance or hummingbird I might can answer them,but I know more about lowrance.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

woodyard

The striker 7 SV is what I mounted on the trolling motor and a echomap 73 sv on the console.You can mount on the trolling motor, comes with the stuff. I don't know about the speed thing yet. But seems to work going at several mph. You can check it out when we go to the lake one of these days.
I am really impressed with these things since stepping up from the old hummingbirds.

Just wish I had one with a 24 inch screen. Lol

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I guess I forgot that's what you got.
That's awesome I can get lessons from you! Lol

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

WTM

about the same for humminbird or lowrance. ive found on garmin the best scroll speed setting is the "auto" setting. the computer does a better job than i can set manually. this seems to be the consensus on garmins. when im scanning shallow water banks i set it at 60ft one side only scan. then i turn around and switch it to the other side(left or right). on the 7" screens you will pick up a lot more(bigger) picture. my contrast is set high and brightness set low at 455khz signal, as this setting will let me see cover, beds, etc but will also show fish returns very well. im not caring about how pretty of a scan i can get on the screen, im looking to see if that tree top has fish on it.

bluball pretty much summed it up as far as a trolling motor. ive seen it scan while floating with the current and the scans look pretty good as long as you can keep the boat straight. any quick movement and the scan will smear.

like i said in the other thread, garmins are great entry level units for the money, but if you can get a humminbird near the same price during a end of year sale then its a better deal if you are buying it for side imaging. during the regular season a $999 9" garmin over a $1600 humminbird or lowrance is a better deal. a lot of folks are buying garmins just for the 2d and panoptix, which garmins 2d chirp is still unbeatable.

Latest posts