Side by sides

Shikari75

In the late 60s my Dad had a missionary friend pick up an Ithaca SxS in 12 ga. and bring it to India. From age 12 I grew up with this gun and every winter roamed miles of Himalayan trails with 00 buck in the left barrel and # 6 or 4s in the right. Took several pheasant, chukor, black partridge, barking deer, mountain goat, sambar with that shotgun. Lots of fantastic adventure memories were made with that gun!
Dad died in 97, the guns were licensed to him and the Govt. played hell with my Mom getting the guns transferred to her name! I was preparing to ship the guns here when 9/11 happened. That was that, neither the US or Indian govt would allow them to be shipped here! Ended up selling them to a close family friend that had "connections" to get them licensed into his name.

Smo

Here's one of mine….

Wm. Moore 10 gauge percussion 30" barrels
It mics closer too a 9 gauge..😎

666B5205-5AF4-468D-8609-8ABF7ED3944B.jpeg

939A9724-7929-48B3-9D18-1B575CF1E067.jpeg

Harold Money jr

A friend has a Winchester 21 I think. It's choked full/mod. It points like a dream and hits where I'm looking, fits me as good as or better than any other shotgun I've ever shouldered. Sure wish I had several thousand to buy it. But, I don't!! Lol

moondawg

The first shotgun I ever fired was a Stoeger Coach gun in 12 gauge. It was fun to shoot. I'd like to get one just for thr heck of it.

RockMcL

LOL I was referring to your joke about reenactments being necessary to use the old double barrels.
Those Victorian and Edwardian gunner's affairs are, indeed, classy events with tweed jackets, and shotguns such as Parkers, L.C. Smith, and some English brands such as Boss. Even the ladies dress up in 1880-1910 period costumes. Fun.
Twenty some years ago I had some involvement with English Springer Spaniel field trials. (there are two distinct types of ESS, the bench show type and the field bred type) Anyway, I was sometimes invited to be one of the gunners at a field trial. It was our job to shoot the pheasant or quail that the dogs flushed. Then, the dogs were expected to make a good retrieve. The point is that traditionally it was only double barreled shotguns, mainly sxs but occasionally an o/u were used. If you showed up to gun a ESS field trial with a pump or autoloader you would have been shamed off the field.
I don't know if that is still how it is today. I haven't been to a trial in many years.
I sure do miss my dogs!
And, in my first post on this topic I did mention that I have a couple of o/u's. It is just a matter of personal preference whether you prefer a sxs or an o/u. I like both, but I prefer the sxs.
However, my waterfowl gun is a pump.
But, these days I am mainly a traditional flintlock and percussion muzzleloader. 😉
I dress up like a old red neck every time I carry any weapon to include my doubles. No reenactment needed. No show needed.
(My definition of red neck is probably much different than most of the US today.)
I do like light doubles. Down to two at present not counting BP.

RockMcL

Have them in 10, 12, 20, and 410. I can never seem to hold on to a 16. I sell them and regret it. I have never owned a sxs 28.
Couple years after 9/11 I was hopping back from *.istan through Turkey and while waiting for next flight was able to go "downtown" to a gunshop. The owner was a shooter and a heck of a salesman. He figured out I was interested in a 28 sxs. As I was working through the amazing selection the owner picked out the most beautiful shotgun I have ever seen or touched. He walked up and handed it to me and grinned, knowing how it was going to fit me.

Unbelievable figured walnut, balance, fit, finish. LOP was perfect for me. Finest weapon I have ever had in my hands. Price was acceptable even before negotiation but it took 3 days to complete the paperwork and if I was not on the next military flight smoking I would lose my job.

I made the wrong decision and did not buy that gun... still can feel it in my hands.

348Winchester

Couple years after 9/11 I was hopping back from *.istan through Turkey and while waiting for next flight was able to go "downtown" to a gunshop. The owner was a shooter and a heck of a salesman. He figured out I was interested in a 28 sxs. As I was working through the amazing selection the owner picked out the most beautiful shotgun I have ever seen or touched. He walked up and handed it to me and grinned, knowing how it was going to fit me.

Unbelievable figured walnut, balance, fit, finish. LOP was perfect for me. Finest weapon I have ever had in my hands. Price was acceptable even before negotiation but it took 3 days to complete the paperwork and if I was not on the next military flight smoking I would lose my job.

I made the wrong decision and did not buy that gun... still can feel it in my hands.
That hurts!