Side by sides

grouser

I was a grouse hunter for as long as I could navigate the hills and rough terrain, went through many gun changes until I bought BROWNING BSS , 20 gauge, 26" barrel.., IC/M, with an English stock. I settled on this gun and never looked back , the straight stock has MANY miles on it, the one with pistol grip is still like new, bought both new early eighties. SXS definitely THE bird gun !

AC71E11E-6582-4EC0-9A1A-E78C05A54ED0.jpeg

36B8774C-75E7-48A3-82B2-93959AE437B7.jpeg

B3C83342-6FAB-4F42-A88F-01F9AFC46575.jpeg

A5416824-BA22-4F77-A05A-7DD9D9B31480.jpeg

This was my daddy's. Many a creek swamp duck in south Ga fell from the sky at the end of that barrel. I sure do miss him! What I would give for him to be able to hunt with me one time here in TN!!

iowavf

View attachment 129811

View attachment 129812

View attachment 129813

View attachment 129814

This was my daddy's. Many a creek swamp duck in south Ga fell from the sky at the end of that barrel. I sure do miss him! What I would give for him to be able to hunt with me one time here in TN!!
I got my dads 20 that's just about like that one but guessing not as old. It's what I take if hunting with a shotgun. I did redo the stock which I like a little better being darker now compared to the lighter color it was.

Safari Hunt

I shot my grandfather's Stevens 311 a few times but it was stolen in 1970 along with 11 other guns. I had the chance to shoot a Winchester Model 21 trap gun back in the mid 60s. Guy paid $700 for it. Wonder what it's worth now?

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have a Stevens 311 in 20 gauge with the fake wood stock(similar to the nylon 66's) that is colored brown to look like wood. It is an ugly little gun, but it has slaughtered some dover and squirrels.

rickyk280

I was a grouse hunter for as long as I could navigate the hills and rough terrain, went through many gun changes until I bought BROWNING BSS , 20 gauge, 26" barrel.., IC/M, with an English stock. I settled on this gun and never looked back , the straight stock has MANY miles on it, the one with pistol grip is still like new, bought both new early eighties. SXS definitely THE bird gun !
Like you grouser, I bought a Browning BSS 20 gauge 26" English stock M/IC barrel back in the 80's it was the finest S/S I ever shouldered.

Chief44

I just bought a new SxS. I had absolutely no desire to own one, but if you want to do CAS; it's one of the least costly options.

I bought a new Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme, but haven't shot it yet. I have to do some work on it before it will work for what I might want to use it for.

Stock image from website....
PtkU1Dr.jpg
Where did you find the Stoeger. I've looked everywhere for one at a reasonable price. About the only place I've found them is gunbroker and the prices are through the roof.

Chickencoop96

y'all would crap if you seen my papaws 12 ga side by side, great great granddad bought it during great depression from a guy who was hard up for cash up around Jellico, him, my great grandad, papaw, my dad & uncle, and myself have all put untelling how many shells through it since then. i think it was made around 1910. that gun can tell some stories.

DaveTN

Where did you find the Stoeger. I've looked everywhere for one at a reasonable price. About the only place I've found them is gunbroker and the prices are through the roof.
I bought mine last July from KY Gun Company. My total was $464.52 to me, then I had a $30 transfer. When I need something I keep an eye on Grab a Gun and Kentucky Gun Company and use the "Notify Me" option.

I've bought a bunch from both and prior to CRB they had the best prices and usually delivered to my FFL within about 10 days. But sure, prices are crazy right now.

Prior to the craziness I could have bought those used all day long for $300. Now I see used priced more than new, but it's like that now with most guns.

It's a popular gun for Cowboy Action Shooting, so if you know anyone in those circles you might find one at a reasonable price.

SSlater

No class. :rolleyes:
Actually, the SXS is becoming more popular once again. Several Italian, Spanish and Turkey (the country) gun companies are making them. Then of course there are the popular Czech CZ double barrels. The problem is that they are more expensive to build than a pump or semi auto.
The balance and handling qualities of a pump or auto cannot even begin to compare with a good double.
I like a nice double gun myself but I find myself enjoying the Remington 1100 most of the time.

SSlater

No class? Well that's a bit of a stretch. I'll admit, I don't don a tweed vest and take an elevenses break on a morning driven hunt, but I can certainly recognize a nice gun when I see it. What you've omitted in your comparison is an over/under which contains all of the positive attributes you mention and then some not that there's anything wrong with wanting a SxS. I own many guns for novelty's sake.
ER4k89f.jpg
What is that gun? Looks nice.

rifle02

Sometime in the past I developed a weird appreciation for lower end Spanish side by side doubles. To me they seemed like a Stevens or maybe a working man's shotgun for Europeans. Just for the heck of it I bought a Zabala at an online auction for what seemed like a really great price. It's in really nice shape and functions well. The thing is it has heavy barrels and 3-in Magnum chambers. I assume it was a waterfowl gun before the days of Steel shot.

rifle02

The Browning BSS is a fine shotgun.

Blockhouse

Like you grouser, I bought a Browning BSS 20 gauge 26" English stock M/IC barrel back in the 80's it was the finest S/S I ever shouldered.
Same here - 80s straight stock BSS 20 gauge. Easy gun to carry. Shoots 3 inch as well. Improved and modified. Sits in Its browning suitcase so I can look at it.