Sick dog help

Wildcat

Three weeks ago my 14 year old Shih Tzu got a bad UT infection, I noticed she would not stop licking herself that Saturday night so I took a look and could see the puss coming out so I knew it was an infection. Being Friday night the vet was closed and I called around asking if anybody had any antibodies, my niece did and I got them. Monday we called the vet and they told me to stop giving them to her and set up an appointment for Thursday. At the vets, they told me it was bad and they would keep her there giving her strong antibodies through an IV. I picked her up Friday afternoon with some antibodies and other things like a certain food. Saturday after giving her the pill she threw up and refused to eat. The paperwork said if she does that to stop the pills and call them. Well, they have closed Sat, Sun, and Monday because of Memorial Day. Tuesday the vet was at a farm all day helping a horse so it was Tuesday before they could see her. So that was 4 days without any antibodies.

They came back with more antibodies for me to give her saying the infection and kidney disease were still bad and if she wasn't better in a few days it might be time. I didn't give up on her yet and it was hard to give her all this stuff every day but now the next visit she was better. Now I have to give her liquid Liqui-Tinic twice a day for the rest of her life. Also 4 pieces of Mirtazapine, today being the last one.

My problem is she will not eat. The vet said ANYTHING, dog food and/or human food. I have 5 different foods set out on the floor along with water and whole milk. She would eat chicken Vienna sausage up but now will not touch them. The only thing I could see her eating is corn dogs, not the outside but the hot dog inside. No turkey hotdogs, beef stew, chicken dumplings once and never again. Anybody got any ideas about what I could try?????

PRB

Supporter
Sorry for your troubles and pray she gets better.
Possibly move her food of different varieties, somewhere completely different (inside vs outside), if only temporary.

Tenntrapper

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Have you tried bacon? Just a thought.

Also..if the antibiotics are given orally..her stomach is probably upset. You might try some yogurt...it's supposed to be good for that.

TNTreeman

My Boston just had a UTI . After 12 hrs of antibiotics she was better. Unless you really trust your vet I would get another opinion. Hope she gets better soon.

Rakkin6

Try some browned hamburger meat, rice and pour some warm chicken broth on it. That is what we do for our boxers when they get sick

Snake

Supporter
If she won't eat any of the above mentioned try bouillon soup , may have to get a syringe and force it down . She's probably got an upset stomach and had no appetite. First known case of Parvo we had when raising pit bulls one we had got it. My wife took him to the vet but he was of very little help. He morevor less said that he would probably die because he can't keep anything down. Everything that went in came out and he got were he wouldn't eat . So my wife force feed him with the antibodics and he finally started getting better . If they dont eat they will die ! After our dog made it the vet asked my wife what she did because at that time he said that was the first one that had contacted Parvo and made it . She also got Chicken Broth and always put a raw egg in the mixture .

Tnshooter15

As others have said chicken and rice you can either boil it or use canned. Praying that she gets better soon

Wildcat

Thanks, guys. I've tried a couple of those and will try the others. Just want her to start eating more besides the plain hot dogs.

Huntaholic

It sucks when these things happen. I kept my lifelong companion alive for a month by force feeding her chicken broth. She was 14 as well. Eventually even that didn't work and she passed. In my experience, when a dog that has ate anything and everything all its life gets to the point it wont eat viennas or potted meat, its time to make some tough choices. I chose to let her pass here at home where she was most comfortable. I hope your experience turns out better than mine have.