Shotgun Scope Recommendations

Rakkin6

If you can find one the Nikon Slughunters are quality has are the Nikon Shotgun P3 scopes. Since Nikon has stopped making scopes if I were to buy a new one I would look at the Leupold Muzzleloader/Shotgun scope.

DaveTN

By "low cost" I assume you are ruling out Leupold, Zeiss and Vortex. I mean let's face it; it's a shotgun. :)

My concern would be warranty, especially if it doesn't specifically say it's for a shotgun. For a low cost option I would check out the Cabela's Slug Shotgun Scope sold by Bass Pro for $100. I'd check with Bass Pro and Sportsman Warehouse. See what they tell you about warranty and keep the box and receipts, those places are pretty good about taking stuff back if you have a problem.

Years ago Bass Pro ran a sale on a Remington 597 with factory scope for a cheap price. They didn't have any left, so they sold me the rifle with a Bass Pro house brand scope (Red Head) the package was, and still is a tack driver. I have a Leupold not in use I could put on it, but why would I? 🙃

I don't know if they still do it, buy they used to install the scope and boresight it if you bought the scope from them. Just an added extra if you don't want to do it.

scn

One of the things to remember is that you often get what you pay for. Yes, it is a 125 yd weapon, so you don't need the optics that you would for a 400 yd rifle.

But, if you check the recoil stats, you will see that the recoil, particularly on a light shotgun like the Ithaca, is up in the elephant gun category. And, in a lot of cases, cheap scopes just won't hold up to that type of recoil. I'd think about buying once, crying once on the price, and then not having to "cry" going through the sighting in pain again when a cheap scope self-destructs and you get to start over.

One other thing to be aware of is if you are using a tapped/screw type base, that a lot of the alloy receivers won't hold up to the recoil. They will fairly quickly strip out the screw holes and your accuracy will go down the drain. I don't know if the Ithaca is alloy or steel, but it is something worth checking.

Last edited: