Shotgun Cleaning Regimen?

UTGrad

I'll be honest, beyond running a bore snake and wiping down exterior surfaces with a Hoppes silicone cloth, I don't break down my semi auto or pump unless it's malfunctioning. So far my shotguns have been working fine. I don't shoot much outside of dove, small game and turkey season. Probably shoot less than 150 rounds a year.

How often do y'all completely break down and lube your turkey guns? I'm wondering if I'm neglecting my shotguns.

REN

Full break down not often. However I do a full barrel deep clean before and after the season. My gun shoots best out of a clean barrel

Like knight said above. I do at least wipe it all down and clean it up some if it's been raining

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I usually break down (pull barrel, field strip receiver, etc) my 870 20g 3 or 4x per season. But I'm pretty hard on it and there's a lot of rain and humidity down here in March and April.

That's prob not necessary, as those 870s will function fine with a nice patina of rust all over the bolt carrier group... my guns are cleaner than my trucks for sure.

UTGrad

Well I broke down my Beretta last night for the first time. I inherited it from a friend and it's been through a few dove and turkey seasons with a break down. There was a good amount of carbon.

Attachments

• 60CB3AEE-4CC7-4F02-BEEB-5132B504C858.jpeg
    60CB3AEE-4CC7-4F02-BEEB-5132B504C858.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 51

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I would only strip clean my pump-action after a trip or two to shoot clays or at the end of season, but during duck season I either hunt in the rain or give it a marsh bath.

That's when I have to strip it down and chase every little piece of aquatic plant out of it as well as the water.

Otherwise I just run a bore snake.

Iglow

My gun,Mossberg 500 12 ga, I use for dux(plus everything else) gets completely tore down 10 times or more a season . It's alway wet (or ice) ,muddy ,got leaves and crap in the works,getting thrown around in boats/blinds etc. Duck hunting is harder on guns than any other type. I can take that 500 down and put it back together with my eyes closed. The only part I've never taken apart on it is the trigger group, but it's all right there so really no need. The Mossberg gets looked down on by folks but it's one of the best there is. It always works and any part you could need to replace you can get off ebay, though I've never had a part break. That ole smoke wagon has been through the wars for sure in the last 30 years. I did rebuild some of the inner works like the lifter, interrupters just incase but not because the old parts failed. It's made so simple even 6 year old could tear it down and put it back together. No telling the number of shells that have gone through it, you can push the release button and give it a nudge and the slide will fall open on it's own. I'll post some pics of it on here sometime.

Rakkin6

I break both of mine down before turkey season starts and do a thorough deep clean and deep clean the barrel. I have polished both barrels once may do it again this year also. If I get caught in the rain I will clean everything and run a note snake through it. At the end of the season I break them down again and clean everything deep clean the barrel and add a light coat of oil for storage. Both these guns are turkey only. My small game gun I do the same with minus polishing the barrels. I am pretty anal retentive about firearms maintenance.

UTGrad

Well I broke down my Beretta last night for the first time. I inherited it from a friend and it's been through a few dove and turkey seasons with a break down. There was a good amount of carbon.

My gun,Mossberg 500 12 ga, I use for dux(plus everything else) gets completely tore down 10 times or more a season . It's alway wet (or ice) ,muddy ,got leaves and crap in the works,getting thrown around in boats/blinds etc. Duck hunting is harder on guns than any other type. I can take that 500 down and put it back together with my eyes closed. The only part I've never taken apart on it is the trigger group, but it's all right there so really no need. The Mossberg gets looked down on by folks but it's one of the best there is. It always works and any part you could need to replace you can get off ebay, though I've never had a part break. That ole smoke wagon has been through the wars for sure in the last 30 years. I did rebuild some of the inner works like the lifter, interrupters just incase but not because the old parts failed. It's made so simple even 6 year old could tear it down and put it back together. No telling the number of shells that have gone through it, you can push the release button and give it a nudge and the slide will fall open on it's own. I'll post some pics of it on here sometime.

I feel the same way about my sub $300 Rem 870. It's simple, cheap but works.

Displaced_Vol

3 good cleanings a year where I disassemble and drop the trigger and bolt out. Once before dove season, once after duck season & once after turkey since my duck gun is now my turkey gun. If I dunk it in the water or it gets super dusty (worse) then I'll do it again. Other than that just touch up as needed.
This is the plan for my affinity and after cleaning a couple other shotguns last weekend I appreciate more and more how simple the affinity is to take apart, at least as much as I would ever need.

bvoss

I like a Mossberg. I have an old 835 ulti-Mag that is ugly as heck with my paint job from high school (22 years ago) and all the scratches over the years, but its killed a pile of turkeys. It's not fancy, but it out shoots a lot of pretty guns hunting turkeys and in the dove field. When i do eventually go the 20 g route, I will probably retire it from turkeys, but its still in business as of right now.

Latest posts