Shooting Locations for felons

Airgun Plinker

Hello,

No, I am not asking if there are locations in the state of Tennessee where I may shoot felons legally. I myself am a felon and with the recent opinion by the Tennessee State Attorney General I am under the belief that I may use a black powder rifle. Please, before you decide to hate me, look at my questions and answer if you can. Of course I understand that that rife must be percussion, flintlock made before 1898 and any reproductions must be in the same form. As I may only use balls and Pyrodex it seems as though it would be a interesting pastime.

There are a few questions I would like answered before I go out and purchase something like a Thompson Center Hawken.

1. Do I need a hunters safety class in Tennessee to shoot a antique firearm and can I as a felon take one? ( I do have a completed class from Iowa in 1993).
2. Are there any state shooting ranges that I may access on the west side of Tennessee as I will not be able to pass a background check?
3. Does anyone know of a farmer or land owner that may have a place to shoot on the west side of Tennessee?

Thank you

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I am pretty sure your Iowa hunter safety course would still be valid, but if not, you can currently take the state approved online course from the NRA and not have to shoot anything in order to update your hunter safety certification. That course is available at

Part of that depends on the nature of the offense. Here is the AG's opinion from Oct 9, 2019. If the felony is for Domestic Violence, a drug offense, or an offense involving a firearm, the way I read it, it's still a no go.

As far as a range, I don't know of any state range that require a background check to use, but before I even went, I'd have the question settled about the black powder firearm before I went. No sense in asking for trouble. If you need some further clarification on any of it, the Region I office in Jackson may be able to help, you can call them at 1-800-372-3928. You probably need to talk to the Major over the Law Enforcement section, but the folks that answer the phone can direct you to the best person to talk to.

Also, depending on the felony, and how long ago it was, a lawyer might be able to help you either get your rights reinstated, or get the offense expunged from your record.

waynesworld

Your class from another state works, but that brings up a question for someone that has not taken one is if you can do the shooting part of the class. They use .22 so a felon would not be able to shot it. I wish people could get there rights back easier for hunting.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Your class from another state works, but that brings up a question for someone that has not taken one is if you can do the shooting part of the class. They use .22 so a felon would not be able to shot it. I wish people could get there rights back easier for hunting.
No longer necessary with the NRA online option. No field day required. Also, there is an option for using a bow, but you need to request it from the instructor so they know to check one out from TWRA for so it is there and available to use.

Airgun Plinker

Hello,

I am a new forum user, so if I am responding to these incorrectly please let me know.

Unfortunately, I come from Iowa and there is never a possibility for expungement. But, one can not dwell on the past, only move towards the future. In response to my criminal record I am neither embarrassed or ashamed to share it.

At the age of 18 my parent's rightfully kicked me out our home in the winter, I was inclined to break into a used clothing store and steal clothing along with money that was in a purse display. Now, I must say that although I thought I was extremely bright in the moment, it was proven that the life of crime was not for me. There is nothing more embarrassing than waking up in a pile of used clothing and having two police officers laughing at the absurdity of it. It only took one time.

The store owners wanted to hit me with everything they could and now I have four felonies for burglary. I do not believe those fit into the categories of violence, drugs or firearms.

Although I am happy spending the rest of my life using only archery equipment, I do miss the ability to hit a target at more than 40 ft lbs.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Hello,

I am a new forum user, so if I am responding to these incorrectly please let me know.

Unfortunately, I come from Iowa and there is never a possibility for expungement. But, one can not dwell on the past, only move towards the future. In response to my criminal record I am neither embarrassed or ashamed to share it.

At the age of 18 my parent's rightfully kicked me out our home in the winter, I was inclined to break into a used clothing store and steal clothing along with money that was in a purse display. Now, I must say that although I thought I was extremely bright in the moment, it was proven that the life of crime was not for me. There is nothing more embarrassing than waking up in a pile of used clothing and having two police officers laughing at the absurdity of it. It only took one time.

The store owners wanted to hit me with everything they could and now I have four felonies for burglary. I do not believe those fit into the categories of violence, drugs or firearms.

Although I am happy spending the rest of my life using only archery equipment, I do miss the ability to hit a target at more than 40 ft lbs.
You can apply for restoration of firearms rights through the Governor's office.

scn

Be aware that not all black powder guns are legal for felons. If it uses a shotgun primer for ignition, it is illegal for the felon to possess those primers under another law dealing with felons and explosives.

It requires the use of a percussion cap (or flintlock) for ignition to be legal for felons.

tickweed

Hello,

Everyone makes mistakes, especially if we live long enough. some more serious than others. I admire you for being honest. I have never fully agreed with the laws, especially when it involves a non violent crime. I would call TWRA, explain it to them, let them answer it . I know several who have past records who still hunt with a muzzleloader. I wish you the best.

PalsPal

I may have missed it, but are you just wanting to shoot or actually hunt with it?

If you aren't wanting to hunt, then I dont think TWRA is who you would need to be asking about the legalities of your just wanting to shoot.

cbhunter

Everyone makes mistakes, especially if we live long enough. some more serious than others. I admire you for being honest. I have never fully agreed with the laws, especially when it involves a non violent crime. I would call TWRA, explain it to them, let them answer it . I know several who have past records who still hunt with a muzzleloader. I wish you the best.
Heck I know a felon that hunts with rifles (and inline muzzy) every year, buys all the required licenses and checks in every kill. 🤷‍♂️
Are they turning a blind eye for license sales or just really pay zero attention to it?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Heck I know a felon that hunts with rifles (and inline muzzy) every year, buys all the required licenses and checks in every kill. 🤷‍♂️
Are they turning a blind eye for license sales or just really pay zero attention to it?
TWRA does not check for you to buy a license. The problem would be if you're checked for a violation, then you get "Felon in possession of a firearm" on top of whatever other charge you may have, and that add some mandatory jail time to the sentence.

Latest posts