Shooting house update

DoubleRidge

For steps we built loft style stairs...with pack and gun on your back you can basically walk up them using the stringer as a hand hold....you could add hand rail if needed.....pull a string to set angle and to get your dimensions....all pressure treated....base of steps are sitting on solid concrete block which is set in ground....and each tread is screwed from outside the blocked from underneath....rock solid.

Attachments

• IMG_20201024_133836634~2.jpg
    IMG_20201024_133836634~2.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20201031_141254047~2.jpg
    IMG_20201031_141254047~2.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 85

Knothead

This is probably what I'll do. But it will probably after next season. Your right, I've spent alot on this blind but my kids are up and coming hunters so I'm sure it'll be a great place for them to kill some deer. And I feel itnshould last a good many years due to the quality of the build.

God bless you for thinking ahead. They'll look up to the heavens one day and thank the Lord and their dad/grandpa.

BSK

Your right, I've spent alot on this blind but my kids are up and coming hunters so I'm sure it'll be a great place for them to kill some deer. And I feel itnshould last a good many years due to the quality of the build.
We already had two tower stands on food plots, but with the huge increase in plot size we created last year, we added four Sportsman's Condos to food plots. However, with the great acorn crop we had last fall, deer weren't on the plots in daylight much, but my daughter was the first to shoot a deer out of one of the new Sportsman's Condos - a 2 1/2 year-old 6-point, the morning after Thanksgiving. She LOVED hunting out them, especially on very cold, windy or rainy days.

BSK

I'm about ready to get that sportsman condo put up. I went today and bought the 4x4's. I'm going to cut the plywood for the floor tomorrow. Hopefully next weekend.
As Gatodoc pointed out, getting the plywood in as a single piece is tough. We did it (on SC-2s), but it was a nightmare. In fact, I doubt we could ever get them back out in a single piece. However, they are sturdy. And we went a slightly different route than bolting them down. We laid 3" wide by 3/4" thick strips of high-density foam across the floor of the stands and just laid the plywood on those. The plywood does not touch the head of the floor bolts, and the foam-strip base provides a very sturdy and quiet floor. We put carpet over the plywood.

Another thing to think about is a handle to hang on to while opening the door. We found that leaning back with a heavy pack while opening the door was a bit unstable. So we screwed a handle to the outside of the Sportsman's Condo to hang onto while swinging the door open. It also helps while climbing down. See pics below.

Attachments

• Towers4.jpg
    Towers4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Towers5.jpg
    Towers5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 94

BSK

I think the one further addition we will add to the Sportsman's Condos is sections of "egg crate" acoustic foam to the lower foot or so of the inside walls all the way around. We found that it was too easy to accidentally kick the walls with a boot, which produces a fairly loud "boom."

utvolsfan77

This is probably what I'll do. But it will probably after next season. Your right, I've spent alot on this blind but my kids are up and coming hunters so I'm sure it'll be a great place for them to kill some deer. And I feel itnshould last a good many years due to the quality of the build.
If you want to increase the time that your exposed wood lasts, brush on a good coat of Thompson's water seal or a similar preservative at least every other year. Even with that, the wood will begin to weather and turn gray, especially with constant UV exposure.

utvolsfan77

Another thing to think about is a handle to hang on to while opening the door. We found that leaning back with a heavy pack while opening the door was a bit unstable. So we screwed a handle to the outside of the Sportsman's Condo to hang onto while swinging the door open. It also helps while climbing down. See pics below.
Good idea! Is this the same pre-fab shooting house from Rural King that you posted about several times last year? That looks really good on the inside.

BSK

Good idea! Is this the same pre-fab shooting house from Rural King that you posted about several times last year? That looks really good on the inside.
Yup. Sportsman's Condo SC-2. We got four of them. probably get another one or two so we have all our big food plots covered. Also frees up some 2-person ladder stands that had been covering those plots. We primarily hunt out of them on rainy or very windy days.

westtntoms

As Gatodoc pointed out, getting the plywood in as a single piece is tough. We did it (on SC-2s), but it was a nightmare. In fact, I doubt we could ever get them back out in a single piece. However, they are sturdy. And we went a slightly different route than bolting them down. We laid 3" wide by 3/4" thick strips of high-density foam across the floor of the stands and just laid the plywood on those. The plywood does not touch the head of the floor bolts, and the foam-strip base provides a very sturdy and quiet floor. We put carpet over the plywood.

I like that handle idea, I've had several close calls with back pack and gun Getting in!

gatodoc

Handle is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. We've let the 2x4 on the x bracing on the side stick out about 18" on the 4x4 to use as a handle but I love your idea...

DoubleRidge

Insulate the floor . Dropping your phone will sound like a bass drum if not.
I used car stereo sound deadening stick on sheets to the walls also. Amazon sold a box of it large enough to do the inside of a 4x4 for 30 bucks.
I know this is an older post but i have a quick question....did the "stick on" sound deadening foam sheets hold over time? Just wondering in the hotter months, with the blind being black and absorbing heat, have you seen the adhesive peeling away from wall? Hope not....because I'd like to do this in our blinds...been looking at the black eggshell foam....not cheap to do multiple blinds but I think it would be a nice addition...if the adhesive will hold in that environment? Appreciate any input or suggestions..Thanks.

BSK

I know this is an older post but i have a quick question....did the "stick on" sound deadening foam sheets hold over time? Just wondering in the hotter months, with the blind being black and absorbing heat, have you seen the adhesive peeling away from wall? Hope not....because I'd like to do this in our blinds...been looking at the black eggshell foam....not cheap to do multiple blinds but I think it would be a nice addition...if the adhesive will hold in that environment? Appreciate any input or suggestions..Thanks.
I'll let you know when I finally get around to installing mine! I plan on using the adhesive egg crate sound insulation, at least on the lower foot of the walls all the way around. Accidentally kicking the side of the condo is quite loud!

DoubleRidge

I'll let you know when I finally get around to installing mine! I plan on using the adhesive egg crate sound insulation, at least on the lower foot of the walls all the way around. Accidentally kicking the side of the condo is quite loud!
We're planning to do the plywood floor with carpet immediately...or as soon as they are set up...then eventually add the foam on walls.

BSK

We're planning to do the plywood floor with carpet immediately...or as soon as they are set up...then eventually add the foam on walls.
The plywood and carpet make a HUGE difference! And we went a step further by elevating the plywood off the floor of the condo with strips of high-density foam laid down before we installed the plywood, leaving an air gap between the two. Because the plywood is not in contact with the plastic floor of the condo, it makes moving around inside MUCH quieter.

DoubleRidge

The plywood and carpet make a HUGE difference! And we went a step further by elevating the plywood off the floor of the condo with strips of high-density foam laid down before we installed the plywood, leaving an air gap between the two. Because the plywood is not in contact with the plastic floor of the condo, it makes moving around inside MUCH quieter.
Great idea...appreciate the input!

Latest posts