Shooting at Reelfoot

spoonie

Yes sir, it could've, but it's not like it's an isolated incident. This isn't the first time it's happened at Reelfoot nor will it be the last

The Reelfoot locals are extremely territorial, to a flaw. It's a shame. I understand and respect the history of the locals and the lake, it's just always been off the rails over there and needs to brought under control. Seems like every other year someone's blind gets torched.
This is exactly what i understand of the locals in the area, plus a bunch of hard feelings floating around with private family holes turning public once the generation who it was gifted to dies out.

Cardinalskyhawk

Private blind ownership on public land=trouble and more trouble! A lot of people on both sides of this conversation are part of the problem. Just because somebody's granddad built a blind in a hole gives them ownership of a piece of public land paid for and maintained by the taxpayers? I don't hunt on the lake so I guess it doesn't matter to me but I can see where people wouldn't like it at all.

Granddaddy

Yes sir, it could've, but it's not like it's an isolated incident. This isn't the first time it's happened at Reelfoot nor will it be the last

The Reelfoot locals are extremely territorial, to a flaw. It's a shame. I understand and respect the history of the locals and the lake, it's just always been off the rails over there and needs to brought under control. Seems like every other year someone's blind gets torched.
Yep, that's been the traditional method of territorial dispute resolution on Reelfoot for decades - blind burning. I used to hear of ramp fights too but even those usually ended eventually in a bind burning. Used to hunt with a local buddy on Reelfoot until his blind was burned & that simply over the consistent success that blind had. I recall over the years his blind was burned several times.

TheLBLman

Speaking of duck blind burning, I'm not so sure it's relatively that much worse at Reelfoot than anywhere else, if you consider the number of blinds, the number of people, and the amount of actual duck hunting that actually occurs there.

In terms of public duck hunting, there may be more occurring at Reelfoot than in the entire rest of Tennessee combined?

Below from another related thread . . . . . .

TheLBLman said:
I hope once all the real details come out, we can all learn how better to prevent such deadly conflicts. Perhaps in this case, either side could have prevented it.
While I don't know what happened in this case I would say the answer to your question would be common decency, common sense and respect.

Ruger, I totally agree.
Many of the conflicts we're seeing on public hunting areas statewide, and they're happening with all types of hunting, seem to be increasing in frequency. These conflicts are not unique to Reelfoot. You will see them with deer hunters at LBL and other public areas, you will see them with turkey hunters (maybe worse than duck hunters) on every public parcel statewide.

Most of these conflicts begin with some involved either lacking respect for other hunters sharing the area, or inexperience on behalf of one or more parties, or both.
It typically takes two to tango.

That said, and not to diminish this tragedy at Reelfoot, it remains relatively rare that anyone is killed while participating in any type of hunting in Tennessee. You are more likely to be killed as a victim of road rage while driving to your hunting area.

Last edited:

Andy S.

Private blind ownership on public land=trouble and more trouble! A lot of people on both sides of this conversation are part of the problem. Just because somebody's granddad built a blind in a hole gives them ownership of a piece of public land paid for and maintained by the taxpayers?
This is hard to believe. Is this "private ownership of a blind with sole rights to the blind" on public land spelled out in the regulations/law somewhere? I am ignorant to Reelfoot history and the territorial issues, so wanted to make that clear on the front end. Are the sole rights to the historically private blinds "understood and respected by most", or is it "written in law"?

Either way, seems like a game wardens worst nightmare.

Ol Fart

I don't think the shooter was in his right mind. And this come from someone that hunts that blind. You don't go in shoot at 3 people and then chase them back to the bank. Sad day 2 people have lost there lives and the shooter has lost his life also even if he isn't physically dead.
Good bet he's lost his soul as well.

Cardinalskyhawk

This is hard to believe. Is this "private ownership of a blind with sole rights to the blind" on public land spelled out in the regulations/law somewhere? I am ignorant to Reelfoot history and the territorial issues, so wanted to make that clear on the front end. Are the sole rights to the historically private blinds "understood and respected by most", or is it "written in law"?

Either way, seems like a game wardens worst nightmare.
To be honest, I don't know either. I'm sure there are people on here that are far more informed on the process than I am.

JThuntsalot

If anyone wants to know the true history of reelfoot lake. They need to read the book. "Nightriders of reelfoot lake". This is a tragic event and was uncalled for no matter the circumstances. Those permanent blind folks think they own the lake and have for years and years.

Last edited:

Displaced_Vol

To be honest, I don't know either. I'm sure there are people on here that are far more informed on the process than I am.
I certainly am no expert. There are some folks that post over on the Refuge forums that have a much better handle on it. From what little I've gathered Reelfoot is very unique and not similar to really any other public ground.
Land deeds that predate the Louisiana Purchase are still a factor out there if I'm not mistaken. There is a process in place for these privately owned blinds to eventually transfer to public ownership and management.
Totally aside from this event but this is all part of the mystique to the place to someone like me who is an avid waterfowler and enjoy the lore of places like Reelfoot.

Bgoodman30

I am hearing that the boys beat him up and he came back with a pistol.. An older gentleman was able to get weapon from him and all three in a boat.. Murderer didn't make it back..

Again this just what I heard. Unsure if true or not?

rukiddin

Never understood the fascination with duck hunting reelfoot. I fully get the tradition and the lore of it but I've duck hunted NW TN for the last 14 years and love it. Reelfoot is a beautiful place but all I know is driving around the lake and seeing all the duck blinds sitting out there makes me wonder why anyone would want to hunt it. Nothing about any of it seems enjoyable.

prstide

Never understood the fascination with duck hunting reelfoot. I fully get the tradition and the lore of it but I've duck hunted NW TN for the last 14 years and love it. Reelfoot is a beautiful place but all I know is driving around the lake and seeing all the duck blinds sitting out there makes me wonder why anyone would want to hunt it. Nothing about any of it seems enjoyable.
I feel the same way and have hunted Reelfoot in both draw blinds and on guided hunts. There are much, much better hunting opportunities elsewhere in this area of the state as well as nearby bordering states where you don't have to deal with the hassle or drama.

Andy S.

Land deeds that predate the Louisiana Purchase are still a factor out there if I'm not mistaken. There is a process in place for these privately owned blinds to eventually transfer to public ownership and management.
That sheds some light on the "legalities" of these private blinds on public land funded by public taxpayer dollars. That's a mouthful and an oxymoron to most who would read it.

Latest posts