Shells for squirrel

Rakkin6

Hey guys quick question, I am limited to a 12 gauge for squirrel. I hunt on Fort Campbell and no air rifles allowed and I don't like shooting a .22LR up into the air something just doesn't sit right with me about that. I have some high brass 2 3/4 #5 and some high brass 3" #5. Going to go with the 2 3/4 #5 and a modified choke. What do you guys think about this setup? I gave my only 20 gauge to my nephew for a Christmas present. It is his first gun.

gecko7

I've used 2 3/4" #6's for years with great success. I've also done well with 2 3'4" #5's. I do usually shoot a full choke. You should be fine! Have fun!

Safari Hunt

Waaaay too much. No need to punish your shoulder. Never used high brass shells except for pheasant hunting in Ohio years ago. I hunted for several years in KY with AA target hulls, 23 grains of Red Dot (had an 8 lb. canister for trap and skeet shooting), Claybuster wad and 1-1/8 oz. of #5 or #6 shot. I also used modified choke.
BTW, a 12 gauge is patterned according to the % of shot in a 30 inch circle for a certain choke. High or low brass has no effect on the pattern.

Latest posts