Shed Hunting

TNboy6

I started hunting two years ago and fell in love with it. This year i'm wanting to go shed hunt and scout some. When do deer typically shed their horns, or when do you all go hunt? I was driving to school the other day and saw 4 bucks that weren't missing anything.

benellivol

I usually don't even try it until the first of March.

I've had deer hold antlers all the way to the middle of April on cameras in the areas I hunt. I find the majority of mine turkey hunting.

Mike Belt

I've seen bucks carrying their antlers well into turkey hunting season. Backing up from that point until now you're apt to find sheds. It may well have to do with how stressed your bucks were over the winter; hunting pressure, rutting, etc. In any event, I'm one that would rather get done what I want doing it once as opposed to multiple times. In saying that I'd wait until just before any spring green up before shed hunting if that's all I was going for. That way you're giving them ample time to drop and avoiding any extra foliage or growth covering up the sheds.

Boll Weevil

BSK and other knowledgeable biologists might chime in but I gotta figure this severe cold spell could raise stress levels and serve as a catalyst for antler drop. Bone might be hitting the ground left and right now. I haven't found any yet but the next 2 weekends will be on the prowl for sure.

Latest posts