Shed hunting question

Shed Hunter

Working in the woods as much as I do, I'm shocked I don't find more dropped antlers. But I rarely do. Maybe that's because I'm usually traveling by ATV and not necessarily looking for sheds. But I've the ones I've found, the most common locations, in order of frequency would be 1) in food plots, 2) along fences deer have to jump over, and 3) along creeks or ditches deer have to jump over.
My more recent success with big antlers has been on the sides of ridges beside a fallen tree or in thick cover. I find a lot of large old sheds in these areas as well and I assume it's because most people don't walk them. Which I understand.. even I hate doing it sometimes.. it can get old going up and down all day

7mmWSM

Another thing is move slow and look. You can't hardly look good in the woods moving fast. I know we found sheds in a bedding thicket 3 days in a row we'd missed the previously 2 days. We were walking the same area and passed them. Sheds are hard to spot sometimes so take your time.

TheLBLman

Another thing is move slow and look. . . . . Sheds are hard to spot sometimes so take your time.
I find a pair of low-magnification porro-prism binoculars extremely valuable, whether looking in the woods or the fields. Saves a ton of walking and you will find more sheds.

Anytime you see what kinda looks more like a "stick" than an antler, or just anything appearing a little "off", instead of walking, you just glass it. Also, "glass" a circle around you every few yards of slowly walking.

7mmWSM

I find a pair of low-magnification porro-prism binoculars extremely valuable, whether looking in the woods or the fields. Saves a ton of walking and you will find more sheds.

Anytime you see what kinda looks more like a "stick" than an antler, or just anything appearing a little "off", instead of walking, you just glass it. Also, "glass" a circle around you every few yards of slowly walking.
Correct. I always take them but forgot to mention. Thanks for bringing that up.