Shank you Poser....

The_Utility_Dude

I've been deer hunting for many, many years but it had never occurred to me to cook a shank. After seeing some of your posts on shanks, and reading about them on gocarnivore.com, I decided to keep a few as well as a couple of necks this past season. I've cooked a couple so far with excellent results. My wife gives them A+. I failed to go back to read your recipe for neck before cooking one this weekend. I ended up doing it about like a shank and it turned out excellent as well. The shank provided about four to five good meals and it looks like the neck will provide about that many as well. That's about 15 to 20 meals per deer I've been throwing away for years.

I've been keeping hearts for a couple of years now so I guess all that leaves that I'm not presently utilizing is ribs and liver. While I'd rather eat a dog poop sammich before eating any kind of liver, I'll start keeping those for family/friends that like liver and give the ribs a whirl next season. I tried ribs in the past with little success but will give the recipes on your site a shot.

Just wanted to pass along a thanks for helping an "old timer" make better use of these resources :tu:

TAFKAP

I saw something recently where a dude saw-cut his ribs, braised them in Mexican seasonings, & pulled the meat for use as a tamale filler

TAFKAP

Poser":28ytwq58 said:
Cool. Yeah, you can treat the necks exactly like shanks, though they will often take longer to cook and aren't quite as tasty as the shank meat. When you run out of game meat, pick up some lamb shanks to get your fix -they are usually pretty cheap since few people know how to cook them.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Ate some tonight…….Whole Paycheck usually has them for under $5/lb, and I've recently seen them in vacuum sealed packages at Kroger, as well.

Latest posts