Setting traps in the rain

Thirty-06

Is It a good idea or bad idea? Scent wise and setting ur sets? Tips and tricks ? Trying for coyotes, foxes and bobcats. Just wait till It dries up ? My schedule has been limited and with all this rain I havnt been going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington700

I prefer a no rain set up. Unfortunately all we have had lately is rain. Do you use peat moss or waxed dirt? Those will help you a lot in the wet conditions. As long as you are using separate gloves for sets and bait/lure. You should be fine with your normal sets.

Shanman

Try taking a piece of rebar or something similar and make a pilot hole in the center of the trap bed, go as deep as you can and wallow it out some. This pilot hole will give any water that runs into your trap bed a place to go, not so much during heavy rains though. Put a good layer of peat moss in the trap bed, bed the trap, another layer of peat moss, then finish with dry dirt. Pretty sure Minnesota Trapline Products sells the bagged dry dirt made over in Crossville, good stuff. Try staying away from low spots when setting and smear your lure/bait on the underside of a piece of bark, leaf, or something of that nature. Should help your lure from washing out so soon. Hope this helps.

Latest posts