Setterman

Newt

How is it over in your neck of the woods? Haven't heard any good stories from you this spring, I know you've had to of had some run in's with several googans with all the people off work give us a update when you have time curious to see what you have been hearing, seeing!

Setterman

Been a truly horrible season, I've worked two birds total and both are dead. Each hunt maybe lasted 5 minutes from the time I set up and nothing too exciting to report. Birds just will not gobble on the ground.

I've actually had a fairly googan free year, in fact it feels like I'm the only idiot hunting in the areas I haunt. Did have some idiot couple of weeks ago four wheeling around chainsawing but also yelping seconds after shutting the chain saw off.

I can't believe there weren't more hunters, but I guess they knew more than me and gave it up. I'm hopeful that something breaks free before we close

TheLBLman

Setterman":axf5tg06 said:
I can't believe there weren't more hunters . . . . .
Kinda adds credulence to my belief that HEARING GOBBLING
is maybe the most important factor in determining turkey hunting enjoyment (or the quality of a typical hunting outing).

Of course, less gobbling is usually a reflection of less longbeards,
and simply less longbeards makes turkey hunting less exciting to most.

Setterman

TheLBLman":301fetxm said:
Setterman":301fetxm said:
I can't believe there weren't more hunters . . . . .
Kinda adds credulence to my belief that HEARING GOBBLING
is maybe the most important factor in determining turkey hunting enjoyment (or the quality of a typical hunting outing).

Of course, less gobbling is usually a reflection of less longbeards,
and simply less longbeards makes turkey hunting less exciting to most.

It is the most important aspect of this sport for me. I have had 4-5 chances to easily kill birds this year that I walked up on, strutted by during nap time etc.

For me I get zero satisfaction from killing one that way and would rather he lived in hopes I can find him in a vocal mood.

TheLBLman

I find about equal excitement in hearing a Tom "drumming" as "gobbling".

But in both cases, when there are no longbeards, neither should be expected,
so turkey hunting takes the back seat to other discretions.

Newt

I imagine they fell victim to the Dawkins aluminum? Have you killed any yet with tss

Setterman

Newt":1442ys69 said:
I imagine they fell victim to the Dawkins aluminum? Have you killed any yet with tss

One with the TSS, but at that time I was shooting an IC .665 rifle basically. I barely knicked him as I would've taken his head off if it had been a direct hit. Adjusted to a factory full and 3" 9's my pattern is evil just need a volunteer

Southern Sportsman

Andy S.":1btkztx2 said:
Setterman":1btkztx2 said:
Adjusted to a factory full and 3" 9's my pattern is evil just need a volunteer
Great move on your part, you will thump them with that setup.

A couple. Until next year when he sets up that 20 gauge in his closet and realizes what he's been missing. For a man that hunts mostly in the woods and mountains and kills his turkeys inside of 30 yards, a 2 3/4" 1.5oz load of 9s with a factory full choke will still be overkill. I know old habits are hard to break, but trust me on this. I finally made the switch this year and I can't think of any set of circumstances under which I will ever again lug around a 12 gauge for turkeys.

Boll Weevil

Southern Sportsman":3nrecz1j said:
I finally made the switch this year and I can't think of any set of circumstances under which I will ever again lug around a 12 gauge for turkeys.
Exact same here. 1st spring with the 20 and has easily been the best equipment-related change I've made in a long, long time.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Setterman":1vvfexow said:
Newt":1vvfexow said:

One with the TSS, but at that time I was shooting an IC .665 rifle basically. I barely knicked him as I would've taken his head off if it had been a direct hit. Adjusted to a factory full and 3" 9's my pattern is evil just need a volunteer

Weren't you anti TSS last year or do I have you confused with another "HOLY ROLLER Turkey hunter"?

Setterman

Shooter77":1lzdo5zr said:
Setterman":1lzdo5zr said:
Newt":1lzdo5zr said:

Weren't you anti TSS last year or do I have you confused with another "HOLY ROLLER Turkey hunter"?
Never been anti TSS, I am certainly anti long range sniping but what shot shell you use makes no difference to me

Latest posts