Set up plans for the opener

Volbuck777

Acorns for me, I have no ag. Either way I'd be on acorns just because what I seen yesterday scouting. I haven't seen a nice buck on cam all year but in the last week I've noticed a lot of different deer patterns changing. Hoping Saturdays weather may get a big guy on his feet.

philsanchez76

My opening day spots are currently under several inches of water which means those deer have gone to dine on less soggy acorns. They'll be back but I think I will have to wing it for the opener.

Ski

I've got a couple public land spots with white oak stands I'm thinking of hunting. I haven't scouted them at all since last year so I'm hoping it's not just a shot in the dark. I was planning to hit Ohio but my folks up there are recovering from covid, so no bueno. That plan will be on hold another week or two.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I'm gonna pull camera cards at lunch Friday and then decide field or woods based on what I see, or don't see.

Andy S.

I'll be set up in a chair on the edge of a field watching my son play soccer :cool:
Same here. Soccer, squirrel hunting and scouting for the first mature acorns in my neck of the woods will be my focus this weekend. ANYTHING to be outside in the cool dry air. Few things make me happier than cool dry air with a light northerly breeze.

JeepKuntry

Since I had the kiddos last weekend out of schedule, I get to hunt Saturday morning. I'll be in the hardwoods at pt19. Either on the backside of the powerlines or in a bottom that has a nice little pinch point. Sucky part about the second is the drag out!!!

Hduke86

I plan on sticking a doe early in the morning and dragging it 20 yards to my truck. They have been wearing out the acorns in the edge of the yard lol. Dang old chocolate lab just looks at the deer instead of running them out of the yard and my wife has had enough of them eating the hostsa plants the last few years. Maybe the survivors will get the hint that it's safe to eat acorns but eat the hosta and get stuck by an arrow. After that off to work by 9

Ladys man

I plan on sticking a doe early in the morning and dragging it 20 yards to my truck. They have been wearing out the acorns in the edge of the yard lol. Dang old chocolate lab just looks at the deer instead of running them out of the yard and my wife has had enough of them eating the hostsa plants the last few years. Maybe the survivors will get the hint that it's safe to eat acorns but eat the hosta and get stuck by an arrow. After that off to work by 9
That's my kinda plan, except the work part haha

Ski

I'm gonna hit some public in Ky tomorow afternoon then head on to Ohio Friday morning to start scouting. Depending on what the crops look like I'll either go to the fields or go find some oaks in the hollers

Good luck in both states! I'll be a week or so behind on Ohio, but I'd bet this cold front will have them moving in daylight. Dad says white oaks have been dropping up there for 2 weeks. I was there 3 weeks ago and did a camera check. Had some resident up & coming 2 & 3 year old bucks moving in daylight or right on the cusp of daylight from mid August on. Around the second week of October is when the big guys begin moving back in. Does with fawns keep them chased out during summer. My place is deep woods hills & hollers with a river bottom & ag about a mile down at the mouth of the main hollow.

Attachments

• 7cardstud 1sep21 (6).JPG
    7cardstud 1sep21 (6).JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DMB 4sep21 cropped to size.jpg
    DMB 4sep21 cropped to size.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Tonka 19aug21cropped to size.jpg
    Tonka 19aug21cropped to size.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 61

Hduke86

Good luck in both states! I'll be a week or so behind on Ohio, but I'd bet this cold front will have them moving in daylight. Dad says white oaks have been dropping up there for 2 weeks. I was there 3 weeks ago and did a camera check. Had some resident up & coming 2 & 3 year old bucks moving in daylight or right on the cusp of daylight from mid August on. Around the second week of October is when the big guys begin moving back in. Does with fawns keep them chased out during summer. My place is deep woods hills & hollers with a river bottom & ag about a mile down at the mouth of the main hollow.
That one buck is a wide joker