Serial #'s on guns

Bone Collector

Supporter
Most of my guns have the serial # right on the barrel or on the receiver. However I have a couple of older guns and surprisingly my CVA ML that do not have a visible Serial #.

Any idea where they me be hiding? I have looked everywhere visible with out taking anything apart.

do some guns just not have a serial #?

Chaneylake

TAFKAP said:
Chaneylake said:
TAFKAP said:
KPH said:
Older guns did not have to have serial numbers.

Are "primitive" weapons required to have them?

my 1874 Shiloh Sharps has one

But yours is a "replica", right? Plus, it shoots cartridges. I thought muzzleloaders were exempt from requiring serial numbers.

I have no clue, just providing the fudge factor

Diehard Hunter

The ML should have a serial number, unless maybe if it was a kit gun. I had a kit gun at one time that did not have a serial number, but all my ohter mL's have serial numbers.

Bone Collector

Supporter
Diehard Hunter said:
The ML should have a serial number, unless maybe if it was a kit gun. I had a kit gun at one time that did not have a serial number, but all my ohter mL's have serial numbers.

Good answers from everyone. Based on what I've learned here, they have to be under the stock.

My CVA Optima (Old ML) had one on the barrel, but my brand new CVA Accura, does not have one visible.

The older guns are not that old. One is my dad's .22 (Ranger M34) and the other is my FIL's Marlin 12 ga Model 55 Goose gun.

Latest posts