• Help Support TNDeer:

Septic Inspection on Home Purchase?

ImThere

No, I haven’t maybe I’ve been lucky.
4 houses 0 issues.
I usually fill the bathtubs, pull the plug and flush the toilets, make sure they all flush and the drains keep flowing, then look for leaks under the house or wet spots in the yard. Idk may not be the right way to do it but it’s worked for me?

mike243

My son just bought a house and the home inspector ran all of the facets and showers at the same time for 45-60 minutes, I don't think any camera can tell you what shape the field lines are in, it costs about $300-$400 to have a tank pumped, your $ your call

BlackBelt

My best purchase for my houses on septic systems was a sewer jet. If there is a blockage I can jet it out in minutes.
I did add additional access jet points on one house. It was easy to do and saves a lot of time when a blockage occurs.

Wiley

How many people will be living in the house? That dictates the approximate amount of water that will be dumped into the system daily and whether or not an aged system can handle it.

When my son was getting divorced he moved back in with me and shared custody with the 2 small granddaughters with his ex. The 4 of us would occasionally overcome the old septic system here with baths, laundry, dishwasher and cooking. I had to have the tank pumped and the guy said that I was gonna need $5K in new field lines. I didn't bite. After my son got squared away and moved out every single issue went away. It's not a one size fits all situation.

mike243

Letting the water run a certain amount of time will show flow problems if there are any, 45 - 60 minutes with all the showers and facets running is a lot of water and if it backs up there's a problem that might need addressed if you want to buy the home, sons new home is 3150sqft and has 3 bathrooms on a septic tank. if installed properly a cleaning once in a blue moon probably will be all it needs ,25 years before mine needed the tank cleaned so that's not to bad

X-Tennessean

Parents having the bleeder line replaced this week. 300' of chamber system.......$4700 with inspection fees, supplies and labor!!
I'd say be well worth it for a piece of mind, atleast the doing the flow test as mentioned.

Chaneylake

Letting the water run a certain amount of time will show flow problems if there are any, 45 - 60 minutes with all the showers and facets running is a lot of water and if it backs up there's a problem that might need addressed if you want to buy the home, sons new home is 3150sqft and has 3 bathrooms on a septic tank. if installed properly a cleaning once in a blue moon probably will be all it needs ,25 years before mine needed the tank cleaned so that's not to bad
Read what he is stating. 100% correct in all areas.

dsa5455

Looks like I am a bit late on this post but wanted to share my experience. You probably did good to go ahead and check. My last home was on septic. Started to have problems a few months after I moved in. Upon inspection we found that the inlet baffle and the outlet baffle inside the tank were both broken off. A lot of the sludge had worked its way to the first field line. To top it off the prior owner had one of those large ancient satellite dishes installed in the back yard right in the middle of the first crossover line where eventually it started to come above the ground. We used PVC pipe to replace the concrete baffles. We by passed the first field line and found that the second and third line were in good shape. An inspection would have found the problems in the tank and a diagram of the system might have shown the problem with the satellite dish placement. I spent a lot more money fixing it than the inspection would have cost.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts