Sentimental Gifts

eweisner

eweisner

Years ago in a previous marriage I watched a 40 year wound patched between a younger brother and his older sister when he gave her a Chatty Cathy doll to replace the one he destroyed the day after Christmas all those years ago. I took that to heart and have healed a few wounds myself. My wife never had a sweet 16 so on her 40th I threw her one.

Lately as my father-in-law is getting older he's telling stories of his childhood and Christmases past. One story that he tells is how he and his older brother received basketballs for Christmas. His brother's was leather and his rubber.

While his brother was older he was coddled and given what he wanted. The older brother began to complain that the boys in the area had rubber mud flaps on their bikes and he didn't. My father-in-law came home from school to find that his father had destroyed his basketball to make mud flaps for his brother.

Many stories he blames his his older brother for but this one he holds against his father. So the father in me began to scheme and research. I talked to my wife, and she to her siblings, and they agreed.

It took some doing and a few mishaps but I located and secured a vintage 1950's NIB rubber basketball. It's still in the original shrink wrap inside the box but there is no doubt it's vintage.

I would love to be there when he receives it and hope it does a little bit of healing but that will have to be relayed to us by her siblings.

eweisner

eweisner

Re: Sentimental Gifts Update

Well we were not able to be there due to the flu but it was a resounding success. He called my wife and she said she could hear the healing in his voice. He was ecstatic to have his basketball back. He told her he was never going to take it out of the box and was going to put it on display and show it off.