Selling/Trading?

diesel920

Hey everyone. This may have been discussed or just general knowledge but I have a questions.

What are the laws/rules on selling/trading reloaded ammo in TN?

If a guy were to buy the supplies and do some reloading is he allowed to sell to his friends to recoup costs? Are there income limits?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Omega

I do not know about income tax rules. I know it is perfectly legal to make ammo and sell it. Liability attaches to the manufacturer, that would be you.
Only legal to reload ammo for sale if you have a licence. But you can buy/sell or trade ammo which is reloaded as long as you are willing to assume the risk. I will not sell reloads, but have given some to friends and coworkers when they needed them to target practice, with me, and to finish a hunt. But they know and agree that they are risking their weapons and health, and I will not be financially responsible for it. I will not do that with strangers, just not worth the risk when that ammo leaves your possession.

Mausermeister

I do not know about income tax rules. I know it is perfectly legal to make ammo and sell it. Liability attaches to the manufacturer, that would be you.
It is legal to sell reloaded ammo. It is illegal to load ammo with the intent to sell without a type 06 or 10 FFL.
If you have some you loaded for your own use and decide to sell later, perfectly fine, but YOU assume all liability.
If someone asks you to load for them, no bueno even if you do it for free.
If you decide to load a bunch up to sell, no bueno.

backyardtndeer

I would let someone I know, buy components from me, or bring their own and show them how to load them for no charge, but I won't sell loaded ammo.

My oldest daughter and son in law, due to their decision to vote against Trump, will be on their own. That is unless we get into a situation I see they need it to defend themselves, in which case I would give them what they need. Tough love.

Southern Sportsman

Hey everyone. This may have been discussed or just general knowledge but I have a questions.

What are the laws/rules on selling/trading reloaded ammo in TN?

If a guy were to buy the supplies and do some reloading is he allowed to sell to his friends to recoup costs? Are there income limits?

Thanks a lot in advance.
What you are describing is absolutely legal. The only technical issue — and really not a big enough deal to worry about in this scenario — is that you are selling ammo without the $.10 ammo tax stamp. I actually bought a sheet of ammo tax stamps a few years ago because I will on occasion sell a few turkey loads to people I know.

The potential for civil liability if someone's gun blows up is the real concern. So be discerning in who you sell to.

I looked up all the federal statutes on this a while back. I'll try to find it.

Southern Sportsman

The ATF does regulate the manufacture and sale of ammunition. However, making and selling a reasonably small number is not a violation of any law. Just like buying and selling a few guns - even if you make a little in the process - does not mean you violate laws requiring firearms dealers to have ATF licenses.

Federal law prohibits anyone except a licensed manufacturer from "engag[ing] in the business of . . . manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce." (18 U.SC. section 922(a)(B)).

"Engaged in the business" means: "as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured." (18 U.S.C. section 921(21)(B)).

"With the principal objective of livelihood and proft" means "that the intent underlying the sale or disposition . . . is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents." (18 U.S.C. section 921(22)).

Latest posts