Self-defense?

Wildcat

Supporter

DaveTN

Supporter
You don't need to look to the liberal gun hating states to see cases where self defense ended in a prison sentence. You need to look no farther than Davidson County, Tennessee. Check out the case of Nashville Police Department Officer Andrew Delke. He decided to take a plea deal that could keep him in prison for 15 years.

If they will do that to a cop, they will surely do it to you.

Snake

Some states do not have self defense laws . Search them if you like. When my uncle killed a man that had shot first at him this dude at the jail told him he'd beat his case but he was in a similar situation in some state in the midwest and was charged plus spent time in prison simply because they didn't have the self defense law . Don't know if it's a fact but do remember my uncle telling us that.

jameseboy

It’s important to decide in advance when you will use deadly force. Expect the result to be charges, hundreds of thousands in defense fees and jail then possibly prison time. Only when you are ready for that should you do so. That said if my family is endangered I would accept that probability and act to defend them. You really have to decide what you will accept and be prepared for to accept the consequences when you need to reach that point

DaveTN

Supporter
Some states do not have self defense laws . Search them if you like. When my uncle killed a man that had shot first at him this dude at the jail told him he'd beat his case but he was in a similar situation in some state in the midwest and was charged plus spent time in prison simply because they didn't have the self defense law . Don't know if it's a fact but do remember my uncle telling us that.
I doubt there is a state that doesn't allow the use of deadly for self-defense. But there are 11 states that have a duty to retreat.

DaveTN

Supporter
It’s important to decide in advance when you will use deadly force. Expect the result to be charges, hundreds of thousands in defense fees and jail then possibly prison time. Only when you are ready for that should you do so. That said if my family is endangered I would accept that probability and act to defend them. You really have to decide what you will accept and be prepared for to accept the consequences when you need to reach that point
You should absolutely run scenarios in your mind of when you may need to use deadly force. You should also have a plan for what you will say or do immediately to keep from getting shot by other citizens if you have to use deadly force in public.

Protecting your family includes you not being killed or sent to prison.

DaveTN

Supporter
In Alba's case, he had retreated as far as he could. Won't make a difference in that s-hole though.
His case was handled by an out of control DA that should not be in office. We have that in places here in Tennessee.

Liberal, criminal loving lawyers that want to be defense attorneys so they can let every go have discovered that they can do far more of that if they are the prosecutors instead of public defenders. It is working very well for them.

FLTENNHUNTER1

And seriously consider buying insurance to help cover the legal costs if you do defend yourself. Something I should do and have not.

LanceS4803

His case was handled by an out of control DA that should not be in office.
When questioned, the DA said they are still investigating. Then why was the shopkeeper jailed if the investigation is still ongoing, and the guilt of the victim is in question? I can see an initial detention.
And for those wondering about a knife against an unarmed man, you have to look at the totality of the circumstances:
No where to retreat, has already been pushed down, age difference, size difference, no where to retreat, apparently already injured by the girlfriend? and we don't know what was being said to the shopkeeper, but it sure didn't appear to be a friendly conversation.

Latest posts