Seed storage

catman529

Bought small ziplock bags for jewelry parts at a craft shop. the bags are about 2 by 3 inches. They work perfectly and came in packs of 100. A piece of masking tape and a pen to write down what seeds they are and the date....works really well for me. Then put them in a jar and make sure they aren't exposed to too much heat which will reduce viability. A cool closet or garage is probably a good place to keep em.

A

Anonymous

Stovepipe is spot on. Been stocking up at the Co-op for years after season, and always put the seed in the freezer and they do just fine. We have planted sweet corn that has been in the freezer for 5 years and it does just fine. The Robertson county Co-op has a sale the first monday of august every year and it is all the seed you can put in a big brown bag for $5. We usually wind up with $1,000 worth of sweet corn seed for $15- $20 every year, That is the only way I can afford to put out 8 acres of sweet corn every year.

catman529

Freezing does do them well, so I've heard, but I just keep them in the jar at room temperature, and I've got some tomato seeds that I saved in 2009, and am looking at the near-100% germination rate of seedlings under the shop light right in front of me. So they do fine if dried out completely and stored airtight. I hear that heat does no good to them though, so putting them in the freezer wouldn't hurt as far as I know.

Poor redneck

WTM said:
maw maw kept them in the freezer, so thats were i keep mine.
Mine too...I have Been doing it that way for a long time. Was just reading about it and some say it don't really matter as long as they are dry and do not get over heated. Not that I'm looking to change, just curious what some of you do.

woodchuckc

I'm still using a vial of Cherokee Purple tomato seeds I saved from back in 2001, and still getting about 50-60% germination. Tomato seeds retain viability a long time if fermented and dried properly and stored in a cool place or in the freezer. I store my seeds in small (10 or 20 mL) plastic vials.

I planted some cowpeas of my Dad's that I found in a Miracle Whip jar out in the garage as I was going through things after he passed away a few years ago. I planted them the next summer and I bet every single one came up. The last time he raised any cowpeas was the last summer I lived at home while at college (I was 21). I am 52 now, so those seeds has been in the jar out in his garage for 28 years!

Latest posts