Food Plots Seed Source

backyardtndeer

Depends on what you are buying. Use crop production services for pennington wintergrazer rye seed. Have bought clover at several different places. Soybeans will be going back to using eagle, rural king beans from hoosier pride were a bust last year.

JCDEERMAN

Knoxville Seed Company has fairly good prices and get some stuff from there when I go see the in-laws. Some of it's cheaper than co-op

DoubleRidge

I also noticed that Dr. Grant Woods switched to them over Eagle Seed. That's interesting to me

After reading comments on their website I can see why Dr. Grant approves:

"We believe that a no-till cover crop approach reduces soil disturbance, improves water infiltration, and improves soil health"

The soil health video is interesting and explains their approach.....also they have some nice looking blends listed.

Interesting stuff.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I also noticed that Dr. Grant Woods switched to them over Eagle Seed. That's interesting to me
Dr. Woods has been working on the best blend for a long time, Summer Release is the multi specie, multi purpose result. It is crazy how many different varieties of each species there are. Each variety differing from others in some way. I believe this blend will be great for building soil while providing some food and cover all at the same time. Summer is for soil building.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
After reading comments on their website I can see why Dr. Grant approves:

"We believe that a no-till cover crop approach reduces soil disturbance, improves water infiltration, and improves soil health"

The soil health video is interesting and explains their approach.....also they have some nice looking blends listed.

Interesting stuff.
The "living soil" principles are most informative and helpful. Once you apply that thought process it all becomes more clear and your successes will grow.

JCDEERMAN

Dr. Woods has been working on the best blend for a long time, Summer Release is the multi specie, multi purpose result. It is crazy how many different varieties of each species there are. Each variety differing from others in some way. I believe this blend will be great for building soil while providing some food and cover all at the same time. Summer is for soil building.
It is amazing how many things are in that blend. Looks great, but I can't afford it. Planting 25 acres would cost me $1400 after shipping. Maybe one day, but for now, I'll have to stick to soybeans costing $450 for that acreage. I may try to get one of the fall planting mixes though, and dilute it with cheap awnless wheat or cereal rye to cut costs.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
It is amazing how many things are in that blend. Looks great, but I can't afford it. Planting 25 acres would cost me $1400 after shipping. Maybe one day, but for now, I'll have to stick to soybeans costing $450 for that acreage. I may try to get one of the fall planting mixes though, and dilute it with cheap awnless wheat or cereal rye to cut costs.
Cereal rye has to be one of the best winter covers available. Better root systems earlier than wheat provides better erosion protection and more In the soil matter. It is a little leafier than wheat, taller faster and bigger seed heads for more matter above ground. Its fast growth gets ahead of most weeds early and makes a great ground cover when rolled or terminated and planted in. I have also drilled rye into my clover and alfalfa stands to give them some browse protection and soil improvement without losing my clover or alfalfa. Leave it till after turkeys hatch then mow creates a great thatch which preserves moisture and keeps soil temps more consistant prolonging clover into the summer heat. Cereal rye with turnips and radishes provides a great winter cover with soil building, nutrient mining, erosion control and food source from august thru april.

JCDEERMAN

Cereal rye has to be one of the best winter covers available. Better root systems earlier than wheat provides better erosion protection and more In the soil matter. It is a little leafier than wheat, taller faster and bigger seed heads for more matter above ground. Its fast growth gets ahead of most weeds early and makes a great ground cover when rolled or terminated and planted in. I have also drilled rye into my clover and alfalfa stands to give them some browse protection and soil improvement without losing my clover or alfalfa. Leave it till after turkeys hatch then mow creates a great thatch which preserves moisture and keeps soil temps more consistant prolonging clover into the summer heat. Cereal rye with turnips and radishes provides a great winter cover with soil building, nutrient mining, erosion control and food source from august thru april.
Agreed on all its benefits. Ours is coming on very strong right now. It was about a foot high on Sunday and with all this rain and warmer temps next week, It will probably be over waist high within 2 weeks. The deer are hammering it.

This fall, we will probably plant cereal rye at half the drilling rate - about 35 lbs / acre......and with the Brassica Plus Release from GCS (Kentucky Pride Crimson Clover, Frosty Berseem Clover, Impact FOrage Collards, Smart Radish, Purple Top Turnips, Vivant Hybrid Turnips, Bayou Hybrid Kale) - planting it at half the rate it's called for (about 8 lbs / acre). At least that's what I'm amped up about right now :p

Latest posts