Securing hang on stands

Vermin93

I'm heading to Kansas this weekend to check trail cams and put up a couple of hang on stands on public land. What do you think is the best way to secure them? I'm planning to chain and padlock them to the tree and remove my climbing sticks. It seems that's really all you can do, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

deerhunter10

That or they make a cable that locks for them it won't be as loud. We have used the cables before and like them. But I don't think I would remove the ladders its a little extra money but I would buy to or three locks and lock it all down. So you don't have to worry about putting everything back up when you go back later.

infoman jr.

I use these:

900.png

scn

Vermin93 said:
Now that I think about it, unless I use a really thick chain it won't be any better than a 5/16" cable lock - right?

You are correct if you are talking about regular bolt cutters. The heavier cable locks are difficult and time consuming to cut with regular bolt cutters. But, a cable cutter goes through them easily. Bottom line, if somebody wants your stand bad enough, there is very little you can do to keep them from taking it.

The best system I have seen for getting around that problem a little bit are the stands that fit onto a bracket on the tree. It allows the placement of the stand, trimming shooting lanes, etc. Then you can leave with your stand and climbing sticks with the bracket left up in the tree. An extra bracket for insurance and you should be good to go when you return. Yes, it adds a little time to getting set up when you return, but you don't have to worry aout your stand being gone, either.

762hunter

I had a Walmart special single ladder stolen last year in Fayette county.

Had a cable locking it to the tree. Whomever the scumbag was came with cutters and left the cable there at the base of the tree.

catman529

You can use a bug zapper or camera flash capacitor and attach it to the tree in a waterproof housing, then wire up the climbing sticks so if someone grabs a peg they get hundreds of volts :grin:

I'm just going to use the cable lock on mine. if someone wants a cheap lock-on so bad that they would bring cutters and cut the cable, then they can have it. Wouldn't want to put any real expensive stand on public land.

Redfred16

I drill 2 holes in them and run 8" deck bolts into the tree through the holes. The stands are rock solid for sound and if someone wants my $60 stands they are going to work for them.

Redfred16

I do my climbing sticks also, 1 bolt each stick after the 3rd one. I like to think I'm messing with the thief should someone try. they will need a drill with a 3/8' driver or a hacksaw.

The only things easy to steal would be my hooks, bow hanger and bow rope, alot of woth for $15 in used stuff.

Inkstainz

LanceS4803 said:
It is amazing that we are even discussing hunters stealing from other hunters.

Well its not necessarily hunters stealing from hunters, people who are addicted to drugs know that people will pay cash for items like this without asking too many questions.

Latest posts