Second rut / fawns coming in?

BSK

Mike Belt said:
I suppose a well balanced sex ration makes for healthier deer in the long run but it sure shortens the rutting action you might see....or don't. I also guess it's in how you define intense but the intensity of the rut seems lower than when the sexual balance heavily favored does. It really lends credence to the saying right place, right time.

More balanced sex ratios USUALLY mean a shorter but far more intense rut. I've seen these results occur over and over again. But every situation is unique, and Ames obviously has some unique dynamics going on (the lack of heavy rubbing activity there has me stumped).

MUP

Do you think that maybe some of the does were actually getting bred during the false rut, making for less of a real rut? Some of the chasing I saw early on was of the caliber of estrous chases imo. Dogging the does is the phrase that comes to mind even.

BSK

MUP said:
Do you think that maybe some of the does were actually getting bred during the false rut, making for less of a real rut? Some of the chasing I saw early on was of the caliber of estrous chases imo. Dogging the does is the phrase that comes to mind even.

It certainly appeared that way. However, it would take a bunch of fetal measurements to know for sure, and we aren't killing many does this year (we have a shortage of them).

Latest posts